What tires would you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They used to be really heavy. All the new part numbers are much lighter. But if you compare a AT3W 35x12.50R17 to a BFG 315/70R17 there are a few things to look at.

BFG 315/70R17 = 34.4" (but more like 34"), 15/32's tread depth and 64lbs
BFG 35x12.50R17 = 34." (but still runs small), 15/32's and 66.4lbs
Falken = 34.8", 19/32's tread depth and 68.8lbs

So roughly an inch bigger, .25" deeper tread and only 4.8lbs more per tire. With that said I think the 4.8lbs (or 2.4lbs for the 35) is a fair trade. And I personally think the Falken AT3W out performs the BFG in rain, snow and mud. BFG may get the edge on dry dirt with the softer compound but that also contributes to how much more quickly they wear.

I promise I have no affiliation with Falken lol. We don't even sell tires for what it's worth. But after having many different tires. AT3W is my go to.
I should have been more clear. I run 37s so 83lb Falken’s vs 69lbs of my Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT’s is a huge difference. That on top of no longer living in the Midwest and only seeing snow maybe 2-5 days a year. The Falken’s were great in Chicago but overkill for Texas and what I need my tires to do for me.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenda Kleavers also caught my eye.
If I recall correctly... thought they were a little lighter than most also.
Seeing their pricing as low as any others too.

My last two sets of GoodYears (not Raptor- an Explorer and Expedition) were the WORST tires I owned in my life.
I know a lot of others are liking their off road stuff now, but I have been soured by how terrible each of those were.
The Explorer tires got punctured WAY too many times.
Tree branch actually made it through one of them.
And somehow one looked like it got parked on a belt sander.
Spot worn right into the cords while the rest of the tread was still about 3/4 depth. Tried finding picture, but can't find it. Showed my F.I.L. who was in the tire business, cause it looked so crazy. He said CHEAP tire and construction, belts broke and inside was pushing out so that caused the softball sized "bald patch". I was driving 120 miles daily to work and back then, guessing another few days would have blown out and shredded.
I switched from Nitto Terra Grapplers to Kenda Kleavers...much better than the Nitto...I can explain my issues with Nitto..but Nitto had to refund my money due to defective tires. They lost me for good. The Kenda tires were on my F150....0 complaints. My raptor came with a brand new set of firestones...30k miles and 0 issues at all.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I should have been more clear. I run 37s so 83lb Falken’s vs 69lbs of my Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT’s is a huge difference. That on top of no longer living in the Midwest and only seeing snow maybe 2-5 days a year. The Falken’s were great in Chicago but overkill for Texas and what I need my tires to do for me.
Same situation. Old part number was 83. New is 74. Only slightly deeper tread than coopers though so coopers win the weight contest by 5lbs.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Kinda thinking i may swap to the falkens (35”) even though i dont want extra weight but if they last longer and are better in snow then the bfgs i can deal. Sucks how i want light weight but also want Es lol

The dura tracs i had on my last truck were amazing in this far up northeast snow but by half wear they were completely annoying and crap.