Was It Worth It? Gen 2 (2017-2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at 91k and am waiting for an opening at local offroad shop to rebuild.
No leaks and it still rides great for a truck.
There's no question, however, that it doesn't haul ass over rough surfaces like it did earlier in its life.
I want peak raptor back before I unleash the goose on this truck.
The Gen 2 shocks have Fox nitrogen valves, which requires a special tool to recharge. Ask your shock rebuilder to swap out those valves for the regular Schrader valves so you can get nitrogen anywhere anytime you need to.

Attachments

• 20231008_062112.jpg
    20231008_062112.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231008-062236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008-062236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Happy Friday,

This is specifically geared towards those of you who have 80k+ mile Gen 2 Raptors, years 2017-2019. Currently, I am in the market to purchase one. I have been surfing lots, lots, and lots of threads, reading up on all possible mechanical issues to keep an eye out for. Previously, I had a 2017 F-150 5.0 V8. I did little to no research on it, it had what I needed, and I liked it, so I made the move on it and drove it from 60k miles to near 95-100k. No issues. It was a great experience, I drove it and used it like it should be! I love the interior and exterior of these years. I drove an 18' Raptor the other day, and it was smooth as butter.

Anyways, let's get down to it; knowing the cam phaser issues for these years, in comparison to the amount of enjoyment you get out of it, was it worth having the possibility in the back of your mind that your Raptor could end up in the shop time and time again? There are nightmare scenarios with these cam phaser replacements I see everywhere. Though my conclusion is, it seems like it's just the luck of the draw. I get that things happen with all vehicles, there's always a possibility of hurtles like this. Do you just make the move to purchase one, drive, and enjoy it without thinking twice?

My primary question at hand I am asking you Gen 2 owners, is was it worth it?

Thanks for your time and input. Hoping to join the Raptor community soon.
I am at 97,000 miles on my 2017 SuperCab. I have not had the cam phaser issue yet (knock on wood) and have been tuned with Goosetuned since mile 30,000. I run e85 in the spring/summer and 91 in the Fall/Winter. I also personally change my own oil on the clock every 5,000 miles no matter what.

So far so good. That doesn’t mean I have not had my issues. Just search my old posts.

I would have replaced it with another Raptor but they stopped making SuperCabs so I am going to drive this one until it becomes cost prohibitive.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Gen 2 shocks have Fox nitrogen valves, which requires a special tool to recharge. Ask your shock rebuilder to swap out those valves for the regular Schrader valves so you can get nitrogen anywhere anytime you need to.

thanks for that suggestion!

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't buy into the 50k mile shock rebuild. I put 103k on my 2018, original shocks were fine, as good a ride as the new 2022.

Of course it didn't see much off road, but it's just silly to rebuild shocks based on mileage, unless you're made of money.
I've been wanting someone to say this. Thanks for doing it. I'm glad they are still going! May put mine off a little longer. I just don't have anything to compare it to because I'd never driven one before a month ago.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice.
The shop actually suggested that I have them do that.

tlrmade

Reaction score
Who should i send my shocks off to have them rebuilt? Was thinking TSW....but after reading through threads I really don't know.

I have a 2018 with 128k....theyre shot! haha

I am also planning on doing level springs when I have new shocks installed either Eibach or Geiser.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 98,000 miles has been great. Oil change every 5,000 miles, new brake pads at 70,000, replaced plugs at 60,000, on my third set of tires now .

Lane2018

Southern Raptor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who should i send my shocks off to have them rebuilt? Was thinking TSW....but after reading through threads I really don't know.

I am also planning on doing level springs when I have new shocks installed either Eibach or Geiser.
Not sure what you’re reading in threads. But I can vouch 1st hand for TSW Arizona. Not sure if the’ve made any changes over there in the last year or so…but they did an excellent job on my rebuild with schrader valves and I am 100% satisfied. BTW… 2018 with 57k and I love it!

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With a 2018 I'd buy new shocks off rock auto and then sell the old ones (or keep and send for rebuilds)