GEN 1 Trailer Light Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PGHTerrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance here... I caught the bottom of my hitch/trailer light wiring mount on a creek bed and it pulled the wiring off of the mount. It doesn't appear damaged beyond repair. I think I can reattach the wiring but I don't know the orientation of the wires to plugs. There's 7 of them.

I had the truck in for oil change and asked them to reattach them. They said the whole hitch assembly needs replaced. If that's my only option so be it. Was hoping it would be simpler than that. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20170121_150947141.jpg

IMG_20170121_150954779.jpg

JtoU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this diagram from f150 site since i have similar problems with my own trailer plug wiring. You should be able to put those back to plug if yours is similar to what we have here.

Attachments

• 7-wire-trailer-wiring.jpg
    7-wire-trailer-wiring.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 263
OP
OP
PGHTerrain

PGHTerrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed that orientation and plugged them back together. There was a couple differences though. Instead of a red wire and a black wire, I have an orange wire and a gray wire w/ black stripe. I substituted the orange for red from the diagram and the gray/black for solid black from the diagram.

Also, my white wire was at the 2 o'clock position instead of the 4 o'clock. I don't have a trailer here to test it out but I didn't get the "trailer wiring' fault pop up on the display either.

Any other suggestions or confirmation would be welcomed. I'll update once I try it out in it's current setting.

Thanks @JtoU.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed that orientation and plugged them back together. There was a couple differences though. Instead of a red wire and a black wire, I have an orange wire and a gray wire w/ black stripe. I substituted the orange for red from the diagram and the gray/black for solid black from the diagram.

Also, my white wire was at the 2 o'clock position instead of the 4 o'clock. I don't have a trailer here to test it out but I didn't get the "trailer wiring' fault pop up on the display either.

Any other suggestions or confirmation would be welcomed. I'll update once I try it out in it's current setting.

Thanks @JtoU.
b5d54314fa890bb52acbdf3b1e035842.jpg

Here's the diagram I found.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

1c687b003eb88c3dc6378d2a5df5b9f9.jpg

Here's a picture from another forum showing an orange and a Grey striped wire it looks like. Maybe you can use that to orient your wiring to.

Orange = Red
Striped Wire = Yellow

OP
OP
PGHTerrain

PGHTerrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reattached the wires but never got around to hooking up a trailer to see if the lights worked. I got pretty busy for a couple weeks after I attached them and then kinda just forgot about it. I'll try to make a point to do it here soon.