TOO soon to rotate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper tire rotation moves the tires from the driving axle straight. AWD and 4WD consider the rear axle as the drive axle, so rear tires move straight to the front. Tires on the non-driving axle move in a cross-pattern. The LF tire moves to the RR, and the RF moves to the LR.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rotated mine every other oil change (10k). I got 40k out of my KO2s before replacement.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First set of KO2s, but have gotten 60-70k miles out of Ridge Grapplers, Firestone MTs, and Fierce Attitude MTs on different platforms using “G” above. Both part time 4WD and full time AWD. Will be interesting to see how the KO2s wear as I’m at about 80%-ish tread at over 21k miles.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done every 5000 for quite a while, never had any wear issues. I chalk the tires and run them at 45.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Get it done now, BUT make sure that the dealer rotates them properly and not just front to back, back to front. Some dealers do that and I've been known to go postal about it.
I hear you but I've always rotated mine front to back and every 10,000 miles.

Never had any issues yet and got about 60,000 miles from my KO, original BFG AT, on my 2000 F150.

Mine need rotated again now at 30,*** miles and again they are wearing very well.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Never had any issues yet and got about 60,000 miles from my KO, original BFG AT, on my 2000 F150.

Mine need rotated again now at 30,*** miles and again they are wearing very well.
It never worked well for me, but I'm glad it does for you, does make it way easier to remember.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I rotated mine every other oil change (10k). I got 40k out of my KO2s before replacement.
I got 44k, but there were 3 things that showed up.
1) every other block on the inside front tire wore faster. Not every block, every other block... I noticed when another user posted up pics.
2) My KO2 centers wore well before the outer edges; I am not what you would call gentle in turns or anywhere else. I ran 38 / 36 prior to Raptor Assault - about 3 month. dropped to 37, then 36 and then 35.5 front and 33.5 rear over the next year or so. Even so, I think the latter settings evened out the wear. Again - a case of an FRF user posting up pics and my KO2s were the same.
3) adhesion was noticeably reduced after 34k miles.

@FordTechOne is not a big fan of extended distance oil changes. I’ve been sending oil off to blackstone for analysis at every change and they’ve been like “looks great, you can go to nnnnn” miles if you want. Now I’m not sure I want to. Even with full synthetic, I hate to push to the point of saving a few dollars at the expense of engine life and performance long term.

The front tire inside wear can only be worked around from what I’ve heard. It wasn’t bad enough to screw up handling, but sure looked weird. Since I still do the majority of driving on roads, I re-upped my KO2’s with a fresh set. Noticeable improvement in stick and compliance over the 44k mile identical tires.