Showdown: Hammered Mercedes SLK vs. Cyclo and Adams Paint Correcting Polish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
not to thread jack but what is point of glaze? it seems like that you get the best shine with carnauba and the best protection with a sealant, so those in combination is there something else that a glaze adds?

Glaze offers virtually no protection and is a short term shine booster. At least that's my understanding. Nick@Adams, feel free to correct me.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Carnauba at least has some protective quality.

Per AutoGeek:
A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paint’s shine and improve the clarity. Glazes are usually used by auto manufacturers and paint and body shops to prefect[sic] freshly painted surfaces before the vehicle is handed over to the consumer. Glazes generally do not have protective qualities, but they may have fillers that hide any slight imperfections in the paint. A glaze is often used by a body shop after compounding to restore the shine and eliminate haze.

A glaze is not a polish or wax. It is strictly a shine-enhancing agent that will produce a dramatic wet look on your paint. On the concours series, a glaze is essential to achieve a winning deep gloss. Most glazes have no protective qualities so always follow with a wax or sealant.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jordan! Good to know. I think I will be skipping that step when I detail the raptor in a couple of weeks

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glazes have their place. You know just as well as I do that here in Texas, it's just not practical to detail your vehicle more than twice a year (Early Spring and late Fall). A good glaze like Adam's is good to use in between full details as it should help conceal some swirl marks you'll get just from regular washing and driving the truck around. Basically a glaze will help make your truck look like it's just been polished year round when you really only fully detail it once or twice a year.

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK cool. I'm going to be doing a pretty good paint correction on a 2008 Obsidian Lexus GS350 pretty soon and want to get this right:

1) Correcting Polish
2) Finishing Polish
3) Revive
4) Sealant
5) Glaze
6) Wax

All good? I never knew that the Finishing Polish didn't have a cut to it.

Your process is spot on!

The Finishing Polish does have some very light abrasives in it, the Revive does not.
not to thread jack but what is point of glaze? it seems like that you get the best shine with carnauba and the best protection with a sealant, so those in combination is there something else that a glaze adds?

A glaze is basically makeup for your paint. It will hide minor imperfections, and add a TON of gloss and depth.

The majority of the shine actually comes from the polishing process, and glazes and waxes will enhance it to some degree.

Lay down a sealant for a great base of protection, glaze to add "pop" to the paint, then a wax to protect and enhance the glaze. Our Brilliant Glaze will only last about 2 weeks by itself if not topped with a wax.

:happy160:

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"All of the horizontal surfaces had quite a bit of solvent pop in them, which are the tiny dots you can see"

What is solvent pop?

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's basically a defect caused during the painting process which traps bubbles, either in the base coat or clear coat, that "pop" as it cures, leaving tiny little spots in your finish.

Can be caused be a ton of different things, but they all boil down to improper techniques when painting/curing. Forced curing, not enough dry time, sprayed too thick, etc.

Lots of good info here:

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Solvent Pop | DuPont Performance Coatings

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's basically a defect caused during the painting process which traps bubbles, either in the base coat or clear coat, that "pop" as it cures, leaving tiny little spots in your finish.

Can be caused be a ton of different things, but they all boil down to improper techniques when painting/curing. Forced curing, not enough dry time, sprayed too thick, etc.

Lots of good info here:

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Solvent Pop | DuPont Performance Coatings

Wow, I'm surprised Mercedes would have these.