GEN 2 Ram really has some pretty big complexes to deal with...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, you're gonna know the first time you see a TRX. It is striking in person. and at 8" wider than a Rebel, there will be no mistaking it.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to get that balance of having a big truck with a lot of power yet somehow getting it to feel “nimble”. I think Ford has pretty much nailed that feeling. I seriously doubt the TRX is going to pull that off. I see it being fast but heavy. Someone will have to post some driving impressions when they finally hit.

Toyota has the racing creed including a bunch of Baja wins with their TRD. If they ever did decide to truly go head to head with the Raptor category, then we’d have some serious and good direct competition. Kinda wonder why they haven’t competed in this sector since they’ve certainly done it for their race vehicles for years.

I agree with you, Trout, that IF Toyota decided to pursue this market they have the engineering, manufacturing, marketing, and off-road pedigree to be serious contenders. I just don't see it as a priority for Toyota. I really don't know, but it seems that most of their car models are at the top, so why change focus. And, their truck model fits a niche, that does well, especially in Hawaii.

Ford has one massively dominating force, the F-150. It makes sense to expand on that. Dodge has been trying to seriously compete with the F-150 for two decades now, since the first mustache grill in the 90's.

Again, I hope the TRX is good off road, but I don't think the geometry, weight distribution, etc. is close to what some of us buy a Raptor for: high speed off roading. The fact that it has a better rear suspension design with a 5 link, does not make it overall better off road. I can put a sick suspension set-up and a monster power to weight ratio on my 1983 moped, but it doesn't mean that it will do doubles or triples like my CRF 450R.

IMG_1771.jpg

Last edited:

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, you're gonna know the first time you see a TRX. It is striking in person. and at 8" wider than a Rebel, there will be no mistaking it.
Or just look for the 3 lights in the hood scoop. Can’t wait for everyone to start copying that.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you, Trout, that IF Toyota decided to pursue this market they have the engineering, manufacturing, marketing, and off-road pedigree to be serious contenders. I just don't see it as a priority for Toyota. I really don't know, but it seems that most of their car models are at the top, so why change focus. And, their truck model fits a niche, that does well, especially in Hawaii.

Ford has one massively dominating force, the F-150. It makes sense to expand on that. Dodge has been trying to seriously compete with the F-150 for two decades now, since the first mustache grill in the 90's.

Again, I hope the TRX is good off road, but I don't think the geometry, weight distribution, etc. is close to what some of us buy a Raptor for: high speed off roading. The fact that it has a better rear suspension design with a 5 link, does not make it overall better off road. I can put a sick suspension set-up and a monster power to weight ratio on my 1983 moped, but it doesn't mean that it will do doubles or triples like my CRF 450R.

View attachment 153173

You make some good points. Regarding the weight, my guess is Ford will try to keep the next gen Raptor within spitting distance of current curb weight Around 5650 lbs or so (mine actually 100 weighs less maybe due to 801a trim?) but, they power boost platform may add some heft- assuming the weight increase to about 5800 lbs & power goes up to 520hp it’s just over 11 lbs per HP. The TRX claimed weight 6350 lbs supposedly....but I’m gonna have to assume the reality is these trucks will weigh 100-200 lbs over that in reality once on the lot as the options get tacked on.

So more than likely looking like the Gen3 Raptor will come in @ least 600-700 lbs less. While the TRX will def have an edge in HP stock, the TQ figure will probably be in The Raptors favor when weight is factored in- TRX is rated @ 650 lb/ft & my guess is a powerboost Raptor will be in that ballpark 620-650TQ

At the end of the day the gen 3 Raptor will most likely be faster offroad & the TRX faster on the street. A tuned Powerboost Raptor probably Narrows that gap considerably on the street or erases it.

if Ford were to answer back w/ a top tier Blown V8 version it’ll be faster than powerboost or TRX street/Baja/strip/offroad all places.

lastly- while I wouldn’t hold my breath for GM to come out w/ a legit Raptor contender, I would discount Toyota that easily WHEN they finally start debuting a new Tundra. They were putting factory performance blowers on their 4x4 V8 vehicles well before Ram or Ford even considered it actually (although have since discontinued that program) - a lot of people forget That or didn’t know to begin with.

problem is they are soooooo slow to enter a market/change designs, this time around timing may work out that they will do something though given what the competitions doing- they’re going to need to grab attention to compete.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's minor overall, but as a consumer I don't care for the eater eggs. For one thing, it reminds me of the Calvin peeing on <competitor brand> stickers that used to be quite popular. Didn't care for those, although these are obviously more tasteful.

The other thing is that it makes me wonder if the truck was built to be the best it could be, or if it was built just to have better stats than the Raptor. As others have pointed out, the Raptor was built for overall performance, rather than individual stat highlights. The TRX doesn't seem to be built the same way. The just took a look at the Raptor, and decided which stats they needed to match or surpass and built that.

And while agree that competition is good in general, it can be a negative if companies focus too much on stats and not on what the customers are looking for. I don't think we want the Raptor to try and match stats of the TRX if it makes it less capable overall and/or raises the price too much. I don't anyway.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s another thing, the Hellcat motor is a fat iron block. I wonder what the weight difference is between their 6.2L and the 3.5. What was the weight difference between the 3.5 and 6.2L BOSS? I tend to believe the Ecoboost is the lightest of the three and that lends to the nimble feeling these trucks have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forcefed23