OEM lugs are warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate, the stock lug nuts will last a long time if the proper socket is used. Improper socket fit will cause distortion of the cap over time and then when you try to use the proper socket it will not fit. Improper use of an impact wrench will cause this to happen much sooner. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have rotated my tires 35+ times and not a single lug nut has distorted.
I believe if you use the right socket and use hand ratchet/lug wrench that the stock lugs will last. But if you have tires put on like at a Discount Tire shop that uses air impact wrenches, they get distorted and unusable if not the first time definitely by the second time.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm old school so I mostly use the tire iron that is in the jack kit that came with the Raptor. That said I also have an Ingorsol Rand impact wrench that I have used a half dozen times or more. I've had the tires rotated at the ford dealership a few times and bought tires from them without incedent. The last set of tires came from Costco and I saw them use an impact wrench. I tried to save money on tire swapping from one set of rims to another so I went to a small local tire shop, big mistake as they trashed the beauty rings and took up four hours of my time. Found out later that they had over tightened most of the lug nuts but no damage to the caps.