Engine block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all.

Headed on an extended trip to snow country next month where the temps are 10F or lower overnight on average.

Being from LA where we put on winter clothes at 65F, engine block heaters are new to me. I had one installed at the dealer but don't know much more than that.

I've read that not to keep them plugged in longer than 4 hours but use it between 2-4 hours before first fire in the morning.

Is that really it? Just plug it in and wait? Nothing else to check? Owners manual and internets really don't say much about it or how to use it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve lived in Canada for my whole life and I’ve used a block heater less than 10 times. That was on my Sierra.

Never on my Raptor since it’s garaged most time.

You’ll be fine even in single digits. Make sure your battery is good.

You just plug in the cord and it keeps the coolant warm. You still need to allow the oil to warm up to op temp.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had mine about 15 months and live NC Minn. I keep mine in an unheated garage and have started it down to around -10F without using the block heater. No problems. If its cold out, I'll let it idle for about 1/2 a minute and then proceed....fairly gently for the first 2-3 miles. It warms up pretty quickly.

If you plug in the block heater, 2-3 hours should suffice. I would be more concerned with keeping the battery fully charged. When not used, mine stays plugged in on a 2 amp tender/charger. Good luck...

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had mine about 15 months and live NC Minn. I keep mine in an unheated garage and have started it down to around -10F without using the block heater. No problems. If its cold out, I'll let it idle for about 1/2 a minute and then proceed....fairly gently for the first 2-3 miles. It warms up pretty quickly.

If you plug in the block heater, 2-3 hours should suffice. I would be more concerned with keeping the battery fully charged. When not used, mine stays plugged in on a 2 amp tender/charger. Good luck...
Minn is next level cold. I was there in Dec of 2016 when I did a screening of Rogue One for a terminally Ill family. When I was leaving they asked for my car keys and I was like...what? They said they need to turn it on and have the heater on full for like 10 min before I should get in it. Mind you I was wearing California winter clothes which was jeans, chuck Taylors and a hoodie.