Charging System Service Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORTrux

Reaction score
Hope this spares others from wasting time and money on a new battery and alternator.

@fordraptorfun You saved me wasting time on a trip to the dealer at any rate. Appreciated.

Was getting p0563 for high voltage. Watched the voltage meter and never actually saw it out of range. With the high warning the truck didn't do anything like you described, just pinged the message and lit up the battery warning lamp - saw this post so I checked the BMS wire - didnt see any corrosion but figured I'd tighten it. Turns out it was totally loose and the nut was backing itself off. Tightened it up, issue resolved.

Pretty sure it's on the original battery so presumably it's been like that from the factory. Recommend giving it a quick tighten next time anyones under the hood.

Edit: For posterity's sake - This came back two days later, worse than before. So it dawned on me the dealer did for sure disconnect the battery at one point last year - and after going back and spending more than 5 seconds looking - it appears they installed the small BMS wire under the much larger (alternator?) terminal w/ a washer. Since the bigger terminal/washer was hitting the diameter of the BMS terminal crimp, the smaller BMS terminal was kind of floating around under it - and probably contributed to it backing off in the first place. Swapped, no more problem. So long story short, small wire on top, righty tighty.

Last edited:

phlog

Reaction score
I’m having this same exact problem now as I dropped of my 2018 Raptor off last week for the Cam Phaser fix. Picked it and now having the same problems as the OP had. They changed the battery and still had the same problem. Now they want to change the alternator. I’m going to the dealership tomorrow to check the battery for this loose wire.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but the voltage on the dash was 14-15 volts and voltage at that connection or at the battery was 12.4 when the truck was idling and 12.2 V when it was off.

Clean the same terminal and got 12.8 V when idling, tighten the first terminal on the fuse box and now I have 13.2 V at the battery. DAMN these are sensitive!!!!!

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the terminals, checked the wires - nada all good. When it happens, it’s intermittent - voltage on dash goes down to 12V then when warning goes away back up to 14.5V. Mean anything to anyone? Battery tested fine at auto parts store