anyone DIY / change their own oil with a pump / oil extractor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If ya trying to suck ya oil through a tube like an ocd nut job why not just get a fumoto valve instead jerky?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never understood fluid extraction. Make sure the oil is hot and let gravity do the rest. Plus, you’ll get more of the *****/sediment that may be at the bottom of the pan.

Wth the Fumoto, drain right into the empty jug. Let the oil drain and go for a nooner. All the poison is gone.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never understood fluid extraction. Make sure the oil is hot and let gravity do the rest. Plus, you’ll get more of the *****/sediment that may be at the bottom of the pan.

Wth the Fumoto, drain right into the empty jug. Let the oil drain and go for a nooner. All the poison is gone.

I agree. When I first got into boats, they all came set up with threaded dipstick tubes for a pump. The first thing I would do is set it up with a drain plug hose so I could actually drain the crap out of the oil pan that would be left behind.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Changing the filter is a pretty important part of this process also including how it forces you under the vehicle so a set of eyes is on it. Especially if you wheel it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Going to send a sample of my Amsoil Sig to Blackstone. Best way is to allow a quart or two to drain out first? I have a Fumoto and drain hose already. So should be rather simple and clean.

usurper

Reaction score
Before the Fumoto plug, I used to use an extractor to get the first 2.5-3qt out of the engine just so when you remove the oil drain plug, the oil didn't shoot horizontal for 3 feet due to the volume. It was way less messy to remove half the oil then drain the rest in a civilized manner. I don't think there's any way you can get 6qt of oil out of that engine with extractor alone.

After the Fumoto plug install, much easier. Filter is still a ***********, though.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before the Fumoto plug, I used to use an extractor to get the first 2.5-3qt out of the engine just so when you remove the oil drain plug, the oil didn't shoot horizontal for 3 feet due to the volume. It was way less messy to remove half the oil then drain the rest in a civilized manner. I don't think there's any way you can get 6qt of oil out of that engine with extractor alone.

After the Fumoto plug install, much easier. Filter is still a ***********, though.

I read somewhere that jacking up front DS will drain more oil with the Fumoto. Ya, you’ll never get all the oil out.

After 3 oil changes, the filter is really not bad. I use channel lock filter pliers to loosen the filter. All of the oil comes out of the rear skid plate port. I prefill the oil filter maybe 1/4 just to soak the media.