Another clunk thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MustangAndRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick video:

https://youtu.be/0shNpyeqhc4

This clunk has been bugging me for a while now. Only happens between 20-30 mph, any faster and it isnt there or I cant hear it (shocks taking more of the bumps??). Sounds like it could be exhaust but I have checked all the hangers and tried shaking the exhaust all up and down the piping and nothing is hitting or loose really.

Took it to the dealer and they didnt hear it so I took them for a ride. They said it is normal and just incase, they tightened everything in the rear end. This definitely wasnt there when I bought the truck and for the first few thousand miles (currently about to hit 5,000). Sounds like crap driving down a bumpy street, like my truck is about to fall apart. Figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions for me to check before going back and taking a service adviser to this bump (can duplicate it at this bump in the video every time).

Thanks

OP
OP
M

MustangAndRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im hoping its not so that someone else can tell me wtf is causing it before I have to go back and deal with the dealership telling me its all normal :pp:

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Took it to the dealer and they didnt hear it so I took them for a ride. They said it is normal and just incase, they tightened everything in the rear end. This definitely wasnt there when I bought the truck and for the first few thousand miles (currently about to hit 5,000). Sounds like crap driving down a bumpy street, like my truck is about to fall apart...

Hi MustangAndRaptor,

To clarify, did the noise go away at all after your dealer tightened things up? Which model year is your Raptor? I'll do some digging and see what I can do to help quiet things down for you.

Crystal

OP
OP
M

MustangAndRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi MustangAndRaptor,

To clarify, did the noise go away at all after your dealer tightened things up? Which model year is your Raptor? I'll do some digging and see what I can do to help quiet things down for you.

Crystal

Nope its still there 100%, didnt get any quieter. Its a 2014 Supercrew. If you need the VIN or anything just let me know.

I just removed the "stripper pole" tailgate bar/handle as well as the factory bed extender. When I took the service adviser for a ride he thought it might be the handle. I highly doubt it but we'll see.

Thanks Crystal

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope its still there 100%, didnt get any quieter. Its a 2014 Supercrew. If you need the VIN or anything just let me know.

I just removed the "stripper pole" tailgate bar/handle as well as the factory bed extender. When I took the service adviser for a ride he thought it might be the handle. I highly doubt it but we'll see.

Thanks Crystal

Hi MustangAndRaptor,

Definitely let us know if the service adviser can still hear the noise after removing the handle. Additionally, I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll push this up the line for you.

Crystal

OP
OP
M

MustangAndRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went back and took the tech for a ride. He definitely hears it but has no clue what it could be. He suggested we take the tailgate off to eliminate the possibility that it could be the step that folds out. If it is still there he says they will have to have an engineer take a look at it.
@FordService

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went back and took the tech for a ride. He definitely hears it but has no clue what it could be. He suggested we take the tailgate off to eliminate the possibility that it could be the step that folds out. If it is still there he says they will have to have an engineer take a look at it.
@FordService

Thanks for the update, MustangAndRaptor! Be sure to keep your CSM posted on any developments as well. If there's anything else I can do to help from my neck of the woods, just send a quick PM my way. :)

Crystal