Drive train swap questions... help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First and foremost I want to let everyone know I do not own a Raptor. I am however a proud owner of an 11' FX4 Ecoboost. I'm not trying to replicate a Raptor, but I am trying to use Raptor parts to upgrade my suspension. My biggest problem right now is the information (or lack thereof) of the axles or C.V.'s necessary for a swap.

I have upper and lower OEM Raptor arms, OEM Raptor tie rods and OEM Raptor coilovers. I finished the install a few hours ago and everything works great. However, the truck is 2wd only, as the axle assemblies were not long enough for install. I've been told multiple different things and am not sure which is correct.

1. RCV uses the same part number for the Raptor and standard F150 for their CV's. I called them and was told that they were the same (which was odd since we all know the track width is wider). However, I was thinking that maybe the stubs were longer or the case was wider... which could be a possibility, does anyone know?

2. I've been told that OEM Raptor assemblies will slide right in. However, it seems like the general "internet consensus" is that the number of splines is different. 28 for the standard and 31 for the Raptor. If this is true, I don't see how the OEM assemblies could work. Does anyone know for sure?

3. I've read on the internet that custom axles would be needed. Would I lengthen the shaft between the 2 CV's? If so, does anyone know EXACTLY how much longer?

I've tried asking these questions on other F150 forums, various Ford Dealership parts departments and even a Ford tech, but no one seems to really know.

If ANYONE can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. If anyone is local to SoCal and has a Raptor axle that I could examine, that would be awesome as well...

formuladriver01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the cv axles might be the same, but the actual axle it's self might be wider. Compare the part numbers for the front axle with the diff housing.

OP
OP
1ntheoc

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the cv axles might be the same, but the actual axle it's self might be wider. Compare the part numbers for the front axle with the diff housing.

yeah, you'd think that'd be easy... i've been on Fordparts.com as well as Tousley and Tasca websites... even used VIN's on Fordparts.com.

The axle assemblies are different part numbers... BUT, that could be because of the hill decent control (which is labeled on the description). I've tried to cross reference the part numbers on the outer axles and the inner axles, problem i've been having is that when I use the Raptor VIN, it doesn't break down all the parts... so I haven't been able to find the part numbers to cross reference.

I'm starting to think i'm just gonna have to buy a set of OEM assemblies and see what happens... lol

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is 3.5 inches wider on each side, they cant have the same axle... Might be the same base number with diff suffix or something. Here is mine I changed last tuesday

Attachments

• axle p number.png
    axle p number.png
    613.6 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
1ntheoc

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is 3.5 inches wider on each side, they cant have the same axle... Might be the same base number with diff suffix or something. Here is mine I changed last tuesday

Thank you... I googled the part number (assuming it started with AL3Z) and believe I'm on the right track with the research I've been doing. By any chance, do you still the old assembly? Would you be able to take a pic... maybe with a tape measure next to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you... I googled the part number (assuming it started with AL3Z) and believe I'm on the right track with the research I've been doing. By any chance, do you still the old assembly? Would you be able to take a pic... maybe with a tape measure next to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eh I wish, it had to go back to Ford...