Real World Payload Testing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What's up everyone.

One of our customers just got back from a long trip with a very heavy camper shell on back. I believe it weighs over 1000 pounds unloaded and really put the STG 3 with 4" airbumps to the test.

Thanks again Paul

Quote from Paul:

"Jarrett,

Just wanted to let you know. We just got back from a week long trip with the 1400 lb. camper on back of the Raptor. We were in a place called the Sand Hills. It's in Northern AZ and Southern UT. Did a lot of dirt roads, muddy roads, deep, deep sand, and steep rocky roads. The 4 inch bumps worked extremely well. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Confidence is the other word that comes to mind. They are perfect for what we do".

IMG_1267_zps20f368cb.jpg
IMG_1221_zps42ec521f.jpg
IMG_1283_zps08264730.jpg

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said he had the stage 3. Did he have the HD springs with stock shocks? Then used the 4 inch bumps? The truck looks pretty level with the camper on it.
I like the idea of the 4 inch bumps as an overload type fix. Might be a little more expensive but it much more versatile with being able to go back and forth with the 2.5 inch to 4 inch for loads. How much air in the bump stops?
I think in this type situation that might be a great answer but if pulling a trailer then I think an equilizer hitch would be more appropriate. I know the 3.0 shocks shure work nice as well. Can't wait to get the HD spings on it to even out my load in the back. Approx. 500 lbs in the bed.
Mil T

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said he had the stage 3. Did he have the HD springs with stock shocks? Then used the 4 inch bumps? The truck looks pretty level with the camper on it.
I like the idea of the 4 inch bumps as an overload type fix. Might be a little more expensive but it much more versatile with being able to go back and forth with the 2.5 inch to 4 inch for loads. How much air in the bump stops?
I think in this type situation that might be a great answer but if pulling a trailer then I think an equilizer hitch would be more appropriate. I know the 3.0 shocks shure work nice as well. Can't wait to get the HD spings on it to even out my load in the back. Approx. 500 lbs in the bed.
Mil T

I have the standard National springs and stock shocks. Front is on mid perch. The 4 inch bumps come with 200 psi. That is where I left them. Worked quite well. Though the left side, carries more weight due to gas tank and water tank being on the left. The left rear side was slightly more compressed. Next outing, I will tweak it a bit by adding some pressure to the left bump. The camper, empty is 1000. Fully loaded is about 1400.

Paul

Last edited: