PSR Install Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using the Royal Purple Max EZ or the Max ATF. The manual recommends a MERCON V ATF for the power steering fluid, but it looked like you were using the Max EZ product. I'm not that familiar with the Royal Purple product line up, so my confusion may be over what the EZ product actually is.

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Great video guys...
My question is by adding the Royal Purple do you have to drain the old fluid out first or is it ok to mix the two.?
Would they react with one another?

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Also I have the AFE CAI and MAF sensor hits the reservior already, will this one be even tighter?

GIJOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that was Royal Purple Max EZ. It is Royal Purple's power steering fluid. Yes RPG recommends Mercon V ATF but I wanted to use the Royal Purple in my truck.

No you do not have to drain the old fluid to use Royal Purple. The Max EZ is made to mix with the old fluid.

This is from Royal Purple's 2012 Catalog:

MAX EZ®
Max EZ is an advanced power steering fluid designed to
maximize the life and performance of all power steering
units. Max EZ is formulated with a blend of select
synthetic base oils plus Royal Purple’s proprietary
Synerlec additive technology, which is proven to make
equipment run cooler, longer, quieter and more efficiently.
Max EZ is compatible and can be mixed with conventional
power steering fluids and has excellent seal compatibility.

Typical Properties*
Viscosity
cSt @ 40˚C 46.8
cSt @ 100˚C 8.9
SUS @ 100˚F 237
SUS @ 210˚F 5
Viscosity Index 175
Flash ˚F 400
Fire ˚F 445
Pour ˚F -56
Foam Test
Sequence I 0 ml / 0 ml
Sequence II 0 ml / 0 ml
Sequence III 0 ml / 0 ml
Density
A.P.I. Gravity 31.1
Specific Gravity @60˚F 0.87
Pounds/Gallon 7.27
*Properties are typical and may vary.

Performance Advanta ges
• Greater wear protection
• Clean, efficient equipment
• Extended pump life
• Much longer fluid life
• Non-foaming
• Outstanding rust / corrosion protection
• High temperature service capability

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the video you say that the fluid should be "just below the baffle". After you ran it and turned the steering wheel left and right (slowly) you said, "it's just below the baffle, that's good for now".
My question is, is just below the baffle the final level after you have run it for a while and warmed it up? The "good for now" comment is throwing me.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jarrett, I was thinking... (i know, not good) I love the use of the radiator cap. It's great to reuse things when inventing new items. Since the new PSR is located so close to the radiator, I feel that someone that may not realize what it is and may actually put antifreeze in there. I'm sure everyone on this forum (except for ipushfatraptors) would not make this mistake, but a service shop may. You may want to consider putting "RPG POWER STEERING RESERVOIR" around the top.

just a thought... :birgits_tiredcoffee

p/s I love how the RPG name badge is on the res. Bad ass :waytogo: :peace:

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jarrett, I was thinking... (i know, not good) I love the use of the radiator cap. It's great to reuse things when inventing new items. Since the new PSR is located so close to the radiator, I feel that someone that may not realize what it is and may actually put antifreeze in there. I'm sure everyone on this forum (except for ipushfatraptors) would not make this mistake, but a service shop may. You may want to consider putting "RPG POWER STEERING RESERVOIR" around the top.

just a thought... :birgits_tiredcoffee

p/s I love how the RPG name badge is on the res. Bad ass :waytogo: :peace:

Very good point Joe. Also, You guys have me all thinking about the popcorn thing. We need to ship with the caps on tight so nothing gets in there.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Also, a newly listed fluid capacity would be helpful.

It should take about 30oz. But please make sure you guys only fill it to just under the baffle. If you put in to much you will start spitting it out of the over flow.