Bakflip VP long term issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucktown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a bakflip vp for a few years now, had some initial issues within the warranty period, and had my local purchase shop call and request some warranty coverage on my behalf, and basically got told to pound sand. A few months later I called myself after the issues persisted, and got the same response.

Fast forward to now, and the thing is basically falling apart. The adhesive on (almost all of) the seams is shot, the rivets are rusted and falling out, the vinyl top itself is split and the bolts that hold the cover on at the cab end of the box are stripped and just spin, so the cover slides around. For an item advertised as the "all weather" choice, it really hasn't held up well, and has certainly not been abused.

I guess I'm taking one final shot here at having this this replaced in some way, shape or form. I know it's been a while since my original purchase, and I'm willing to meet in the middle somewhere, just looking to see if there's anything you guys can do before I purchase another unit. Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
bucktown

bucktown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some quick pictures

Attachments

• 20170819_092504.jpg
    20170819_092504.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170819_092518.jpg
    20170819_092518.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170819_092725.jpg
    20170819_092725.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 39

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well actually, if you go looking through their website for warranty info, unless I'm blind, you ain't gonna find it.

OP
OP
bucktown

bucktown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I purchased, I was certain it was 2 years on the vp. When calling to have my issued addressed, found out that it was apparently now one year. Whether that was changed somewhere during my ownership I couldn't tell you. I have no documentation proving that it was 2 years at my time of purchase, so unfortunately no leg to stand on. I'm well out of even the 2 year warranty at this point, but it started showing defects within 6 months of purchase and I'm hoping someone from the company might see this and stand behind their product, from all the positive reviews I have to believe this isn't a normal occurrence.

OP
OP
bucktown

bucktown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bucktown,
Contact Morrie at the Tonneau Factory Outlet. If anyone can help you Morrie can. Remember him when you go to purchase your next tonneau...
https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/
Eddie

I was hoping he might see this here, I appreciate the vote in his direction. I know it's not his problem, as I didn't purchase from him, and I'm not sure of the affiliation between bak, the new owners, and tonneau factory outlet, but I thought it might be worth a shot

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also had issues with mine. i purchased one of the first ones off the line in '12 and I really like it but now the adhesive has failed and the foam is soaked with water and heavy. Even worse, it freezes in the winter, expands, and can't be folded at all unless it thaws out in the garage over night. I actually just logged on to the FRF site to get the contact info for Morrie as he was the one I purchased from originally and was very helpful. I'm hoping he can still help.

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
bucktown

bucktown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's strange, yours seems to be breaking down in a total different way than mine. It's really too bad. The VP ticked all the boxes for me when I purchased. It's a shame that the model was described as the best option for weather and it doesn't seem to hold up anywhere near as well as the F1 etc. Good luck with getting it taken care of, post up with your results and I'll do the same.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Backflip Roll-X that has been replaced under warranty for glue failure twice. First time like 6 months after installing and the second time maybe 18 months later. I have glue failing again now about 18 months after the last replacement. I live in AZ and the black cover gets really hot in the sun. I'm not sure any glue can survive. I purchased some spray contact adhesive that was rated for like 350 degrees fahrenheit to re-glue the felt on the underside on the last cover and it failed too. I like the cover a lot and I am just assuming it's a $400 a year spend to have it as it will likely need to be replaced again within 12 months.