Towing toy hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first thread I'm very exited to buy new raptor though I have few questions regarding towing capacity..reading your great forum and searching through it seams 2012 Raptor does not tow more than 8000 pounds that's the max now just to clarify is that capable to tow the following specs toy hauler:

Jayco Octane FLOORPLAN T29A

Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7,580
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 1,170
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 11,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 4,370

I'm not familiar of the above terms such unloaded vehicle weight lbs...is that the total weight of the empty toy hauler ?? if yes.. that means I'm under max towing capacity of raptor super crew 8000 lbs and technically i can load the hauler with light motor bike about 420 lbs is that will be the max I can tow by the raptor or my calculations are totally wrong :thumbsdown: needs your help before purchasing :emotions34:

I found out that Ford 150 (about Maximum Conventional Towing 11,300 lbs. (When properly equipped) tow more so what's stops raptor at 8000 lbs???

any upgrades modifications can be done to keep Raptor towing capacity close to normal 150??

Last edited:

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes your under but very close,the raptors suspension limits towing its built for offroad but has plenty of power.get a weight distribution hitch and all should be fine.also there are a lot of threads about towing here for more info.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The main reason it tows so much less is because of the soft rear suspension setup for off roading

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8000 lbs not bad if this not gonna bend the frame

If you use a w d hitch setup correctly and don't let it slam the bumps it will be fine.i pulled a 10,000 lb,in a emergency for a friend with a w d hitch and it pulled great.with the hitch you can set the amount of hitch weight.

OP
OP
sportman

sportman

Reaction score
If you use a w d hitch setup correctly and don't let it slam the bumps it will be fine.i pulled a 10,000 lb,in a emergency for a friend with a w d hitch and it pulled great.with the hitch you can set the amount of hitch weight.

10,000 lb :waytogo: you make me recalculate the and think man oh did your suspension sag or? You really encorage me to get one I know Rapter is not build to tow but I like it specially after I test drive it last week in Denver now I am back home here in Dubai where we drove off road in deep sands dunes I guess Rapter will feel home :waytogo: only think which was stopping me from purchasing it is limitation of 8000 lb of towing so one one else tow heavy loads by his Raptor let's here your experience

cousincleatus

Reaction score
Just a thought what if you put a set of air bags on it ? with a remote set up in the cab you could pump them up when towing and leave them deflated when not?

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I wouldnt do it, to much trailor for the truck.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10,000 lb :waytogo: you make me recalculate the and think man oh did your suspension sag or? You really encorage me to get one I know Rapter is not build to tow but I like it specially after I test drive it last week in Denver now I am back home here in Dubai where we drove off road in deep sands dunes I guess Rapter will feel home :waytogo: only think which was stopping me from purchasing it is limitation of 8000 lb of towing so one one else tow heavy loads by his Raptor let's here your experience

With the w d hitch it didn't sag at all,I actually should have let it draw down a few more inches I needed a little more hitch weight,had it a little lite in the back to which on a couple take offs I spun the tires.