Rough ride on the road (2012 SuperCrew)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eugeneorange

Reaction score
I posted this also in the Suspension thread, but I wanted a wider audience to chime in...
- - - - - - - - - -

I picked up my 2012 SuperCrew three weeks ago (Aug. 2012).

I was soo excited to get in it and feel the bliss of that on-road smoothness that everybody is raving about. I have to say I'm quite disappointed in that regard. I do love everything else about this truck, but this on-road roughness really buggs me. Driving down the road, I feel EVERY minor imperfection. Unless the road is perfectly smooth, there is constant slight jitter.
And things like potholes, manhole covers that aren't flush, patches - make the truck shutter, especially the rear... "bah-boom!"
My wife's '01 Passat is much, much smoother driving over any of that stuff.
I'm running the stock 44psi tire pressure. All stock, no mods.

It drives me nuts hearing everybody how much they love the cushy and smooth ride on pavement. I was looking forward to that sooo much, after spending 10 years in my herky-jerky '02 Frontier.

Could it be that there is something wrong with brand new suspension?
I wish I could have another Raptor SCrew owner drive mine to see what they think. Also I'd like to try theirs for comparison.
If anybody lives nearby, it would be awesome if we could get together and exchange feedback. I'm in Lawrence NJ, south/central NJ, between Princeton and Trenton.

I really hope I can get this resolved.
Any ideas? Observations? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
eugeneorange

eugeneorange

Reaction score
no luck on the info that was given to you?

i dont knw about the double post thing you got going on though......

Like I said, I just want a wider audience to comment.
All I got from the suspension thread so far is if I'm running too much pressure in the tires... I wrote in the initial post "I'm running the stock 44psi tire pressure.".

Last edited:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
alignment and/or balance issue?

I have a 2011, but it still rides very smooth at highway speeds or around town.

SWATraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know whats wrong, your crazy. Your comparing it to a Passat? Really? Can't believe no one else got on him about this, you want to feel the road, its a racing truck, not a cadillac.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Offroad yet? So smoooooth!!!

Are you still running the stock rims and tires? The ride is affected immediately when you go aftermarket.

The stock leafs are less than wonderful. You need National standard leafs to eliminate the "shudder" and "jitter" (wheel hop) you are experiencing. Night and day difference.

Tire pressure tip from a similar thread:
Draw a chalk line across your tires. Drive across a parking lot and adjust air pressure until the chalk is worn off evenly across the surface. Will get best wear and ride at this pressure.

Some have reported that the ride smoothes out some after a break-in period of a few thousand miles.

Otherwise could take it to the dealer and just let them check it out for peace of mind?

Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was also shocked how rough the ride was, when I first purchased my Raptor, after reading all the reviews about how smooth the ride is "Like riding on a marsh mellow". I thought for sure I had a defective suspension. The worst is driving over roads with relief cuts or frost cracks, The rear suspension starts bouncing and feels like it cant keep up with it self, and you bounce up and down in your seat as you go down the highway. I think the name for this problem is Harmonics. I don't have any video for Raptors but Toyota has had this problem for years and seen videos of them experiencing the same problem.
Bouncing Baby Head - The Willybar - YouTube

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I still don't have many miles on my Raptor but the suspension does seem to be getting better as it breaks in. Also the recommended 44 psi is probably a bit too high for every day driving.

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What helped my 2012 screw was doing perch mod and removing swaybar.. That calmed down the front harmonics. Getting the rear to stop skipping around national springs with a progressive 11 leaf pack took care of it. Now my 2012 SCrew rides better than my 2011 SCab..

-Greg

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What helped my 2012 screw was doing perch mod and removing swaybar.. That calmed down the front harmonics. Getting the rear to stop skipping around national springs with a progressive 11 leaf pack took care of it. Now my 2012 SCrew rides better than my 2011 SCab..

-Greg

Agree with everything Greg says. I'm on mid perch with sway delete and national SD springs in the back.

It's hard for me to surf these forums at work now with Greg's sig and avatar. :laughing1: