Quicksands Magna Carta Review of his RAPTOR!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay. I've been in "get it done" mode since last Wednesday. It was time to lay it up and finish the deal like men. I took successful delivery of my 2012 Tux Scab on Friday and all went well. My salesman and I are emailing eachother again. The dealership in person (and my salesman via email after delivery) repeatedly apologized for Pirate Air releasing info about my truck publically + releasing dealership names. I didnt target Priate Air, I simply passed on info to the customer service manager that was also my single point of contact at that time same way he was passing on info about my deal to the forum. Anyone in agreement with Pirate air would even be told by the dealer it was wrong.

I added some pics of the beast below. Ive since removed the front dealer plate and also removing the rear dealer emblem. they got me there--but I think we both got eachother plenty. Plus, I was going on 2 hours sleep after being up nearly 36 hours straight....so I didnt give damn at that time. Just wanted my truck and a bed.

Side note, I also added a pic of my '91 original Renegade I rebuilt last year...been in the family since mid 90'sand also here in CO. In terms of trail riding in CO...it would SMOKE the Raptor. 5 speed, 4.0L High output I-6, Aisen Ax-15 Tranny, original AMC 242ci, 20 gal gas tank, BFG KM2's sitting on Black Rock custom Jeep Aluminum wheels. It's also faster than the Raptor since the Rap has a speed limiter. The Jeep, in the right temp, can hit 110mph!

Note, the Raptor its COVERED IN MUD mainly underneath!! It really needs mud flaps btw. I cant even open my door without my hand being covered in mud fyi. But I had no choice, only way to make it to my cabin is thru the mud and its nothing but F'm MUD up here right now aka where's the F'n SNOW?

I went to town yesterday, washed it but didnt know why...and its even worse this time!! That's how you break in a brand new Raptor! Haha.

I've only got about 130 miles on the beast. I've used all 4x4 settings offroad minus 4low. WOw. I could have written a book while offroading its so smooth and in control. This things has around 15 4x4 options. Even the ESP button has 3 functions...not two. Do nothing and ESP is on, push the button and ESP is adjusted or HOLD it down and the ESP shuts down completely. Then the offroad mode, hill decent, 4x4 settings, gear selection etc. Just Radical and everything I had hoped for and then some.

I have to admit halfway thru the Nav part of the delivery I went to my happy place. The Nav is like a Nasa work station. I dont know what I like more...the Nav or the Productivity screen? I think the Productivity Screen. Watching the active axles and/or the green fuel economy meter I think are my fav parts....like a video game. Having a colored 4.2 LCD screen in the middle dash, with all of its functions...is sick.

I sat in the truck for 3 hours yesterday, didnt move an inch, learning/playing/drinking/smiling. Still have a ways to go before it's second nature and still have to get use to the way it drives i.e. throttle, pitch/roll, over steer/under steer, weight distribution in turns etc. Both the Camera's front/rear are awesome. So much better quality and bigger screen than my SRT Jeep. It took me a min to figure out how to get the front camera spray nozzle to work...but eventually WATER VICTORY! haha.

I will give you all the official 1K mile review after my buddy from TX and I drive it back to CA next week. We are mapping out the route from CO to the Grand Canyon to So-Cal Desert and I will supply all feedback. Then you will have my review for both Mountain climate as well as Desert.

In conclusion, what an amzing vehicle. I knew it when I first saw the 5.4L back in '09. It was Tux and loaded. I followed it each year with new features and kept telling myself "if they ever add a front limited slip or locking axle...Im game. Then I checked last October and saw the new 2012 features and I had to have it. The wait, sucked. The hardest two parts were selling my Jeep 2 months early and the delivery date being switched multiple times which affected many things. It wasnt just me being pissy, it really did crreate havoc in my life personally. Now that is all over. The dealership and I are back on solid ground and the Raptor is sitting happily in MY DRIVEWAY covered in mud waiting for the next adventure we embark upon.

I really do intend to keep this vehicle forever, just like the Red Jeep. I want to eventually live out my final days on this earth (if blessed to live that long) from my Cabin in CO. When doing so, I aim to be the "old man driving the two badest ass offroad vehicles at the ripe old age of 80 thru blizzards etc. and the locals saying "look at the old badass go". What a way to go out!! REPTAR!! :peace:

PS-The F1 bed cover is off the charts sick! Looks great and installed perfectly. The Bed-tred was dirty when I took delivery and 1-2 spots by the tailgate were not flush to the bed ie loose velcro. No big deal and overall looked very good. At first the guy showing me the truck couldnt get the bed extended to go over the bed-tred waves aka it wouldnt open. We had to actually pull the unlock handles out so the extender would funtion. That was the only part about delivery that almost sucked ass. I'd rather have a small bed-tred spot to work on with a beer than my bed get sanded/drilled out for spray liner. Bed rug would also be cool. Will take pics of both when Im back on paved roads!

-God Bless
T.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 75
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
OP
Quicksand

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Guys. Mission accomplished.

Again, this truck is amazing. Like riding inside of a video game/quad. It makes me feel like a teenager again--kind of. haha. Forever young! Oh Ya, the AC seats--are incredible! My parents have an '01 S600 Benz with AC seats and my brother a '10 Dodge Laramie with AC seats---and they both blow chunks! However the Raptor AC seats (Yes, Ive used it even though only 40 degrees during the day haha) literally on high blows my cigerette smoke in my face from my crotch! "My sack will remain climate controlled next summer when its 125 in the desert!" AWESOME!!!!

Last edited: