Good News/Bad News

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airborne06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the good news:
Having tried unsuccessfully to unscrew my OEM antenna to install the CravenSpeen Stubby, I took my brand new 2012 SCREW to the dealership for assistance. The service rep couldn't unscrew it either, and has ordered a new antenna base/cable under warranty. When it comes in, I should be able to just screw the CravenSpeed Stubby on there with no issues.
Now the bad news;
Took my truck in to a major, national chain spray-in bed liner place this morning to have the OEM drop in liner replaced with a premium spray in liner. In the course of their work, the establishment dropped my tailgate when they removed it, causing damage to the bottom corner, and the paint.
I demanded a totally new tailgate, including all new components (step, camera, stripper pole, handle, badges). The owner agreed, and even put this in writing. he just called me to confirm that all the parts are on order through a local Ford dealer, and hopefully next week I can get my new tailgate. BTW...these tailgates CAN'T be ordered from the factory already painted. They must be painted locally. All the work is being done by a Ford dealership, so hopefully they will do a good job matching the paint (Tuxedo Black), and applying the badges (Raptor, F-150, Ford) correctly and evenly.
Needless to say, I was pretty pissed, and felt like I had taken an unprovoked head shot. The establishment is attempting to make this right. We shall see how it pans out!
Oh...and the liner/wheel wells look good, and I even paid for them since I wanted to execute my obligations, just like he is meeting his.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
OUCH! Well they sound like they are doing all they can. It was not done on purpose. I do hope the paint matches. You know the dealer will put MORE paint on than ford did! HAHahaaaaaaa.
It may even be painted all the way around the edges.

It does suck but maybe you can get them to apply a free stay shinny coat with a touch of gold flake like i had mine done in. Looks supurb in the sun. ZERO fading so far, one year plus.

BDRAG

OP
OP
Airborne06

Airborne06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH! Well they sound like they are doing all they can. It was not done on purpose. I do hope the paint matches. You know the dealer will put MORE paint on than ford did! HAHahaaaaaaa.
It may even be painted all the way around the edges.

It does suck but maybe you can get them to apply a free stay shinny coat with a touch of gold flake like i had mine done in. Looks supurb in the sun. ZERO fading so far, one year plus.

BDRAG

Thanks for the encouraging words. i was sick to my stomach when they told me what they had done...felt like trading in my truck with 600 miles on it for a new 2013 Lexus GS 350 (wife just bought a new LS 460 L). I'm better now....let's see how their "fix-it" job looks!

OP
OP
Airborne06

Airborne06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post Script:

The owner of the establishment that dropped and "dinged" my tailgate said he wants to sell my old tailgate (complete with camera, step, etc) to help recoup the $4,200 he is spending to replace it with a new one on my truck. If anyone is interested, let me know. The bottom right corner is bent in, and the paint is off in a smallish 1x1 inch area. OK...I've done my duty as a mature, empathetic and level-headed "don't hold a grudge" type. Now...if they really come through with my new tailgate.....

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Post Script:

The owner of the establishment that dropped and "dinged" my tailgate said he wants to sell my old tailgate (complete with camera, step, etc) to help recoup the $4,200 he is spending to replace it with a new one on my truck. If anyone is interested, let me know. The bottom right corner is bent in, and the paint is off in a smallish 1x1 inch area. OK...I've done my duty as a mature, empathetic and level-headed "don't hold a grudge" type. Now...if they really come through with my new tailgate.....

AB, If the damage is all that small it should be repairable with near no body filler. Its the lower corner. A repair and a repaint will be no worse than a shop doing a tailgate from scratch! I think you have several options.

1: The fix you have been offered including the shop gettin your old tail gate is very fair. Not an out of bounds request by the shop. Whats offered for your trouble? FREE Liner.

2: You could have it repaired and still shoot for the FREE bed liner and wheel well treatment. The fix would be simple and if you have to have the tail gate replaced its gonna get painted. If the prep is correct on a repair it will be as good as if the same shop paints the new one. Prep work is the still critical. They would prolly just paint the bottom 1/3 up to the first rib. Or maybe the whole gate. Just think of all the disassemble / assemble work involved in new unit. Lots of room for error.

3: Have them buy you one of these and you get the tailgate fixed. F-150 Raptor SVT

Do what makes you happy. If it was me, I would repair my tailgate. It will take MUCH LESS TIME. Get it over with. Get what you can from the shop as reimbersment for pain and suffering and go on down the road. It was a mistake and they are working with you. Hell, bend it out and put an FRF decal over the ding! HAhahaaaaa. Sorry. Hope it works out for ya.

BDRAG

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, sounds like a quality shop as they called after it happened rather than trying to cover it up!
Second, I agree with BDRAG, I would just let them fix it and see what all you could get for free out if the deal given they do not have to replace it. A quality shop will be able to repair that perfectly.

OP
OP
Airborne06

Airborne06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AB, If the damage is all that small it should be repairable with near no body filler. Its the lower corner. A repair and a repaint will be no worse than a shop doing a tailgate from scratch! I think you have several options.

1: The fix you have been offered including the shop gettin your old tail gate is very fair. Not an out of bounds request by the shop. Whats offered for your trouble? FREE Liner.

2: You could have it repaired and still shoot for the FREE bed liner and wheel well treatment. The fix would be simple and if you have to have the tail gate replaced its gonna get painted. If the prep is correct on a repair it will be as good as if the same shop paints the new one. Prep work is the still critical. They would prolly just paint the bottom 1/3 up to the first rib. Or maybe the whole gate. Just think of all the disassemble / assemble work involved in new unit. Lots of room for error.

3: Have them buy you one of these and you get the tailgate fixed. F-150 Raptor SVT

Do what makes you happy. If it was me, I would repair my tailgate. It will take MUCH LESS TIME. Get it over with. Get what you can from the shop as reimbersment for pain and suffering and go on down the road. It was a mistake and they are working with you. Hell, bend it out and put an FRF decal over the ding! HAhahaaaaa. Sorry. Hope it works out for ya.

BDRAG

Hey BD! Great observations and suggestions! I already paid the guy for the bed liner and wheel well coatings (they look good). I think I'll just let him do the whole tailgate thing...and hope the Ford dealer does the prep work/painting properly. I'm so friggin' OCD that if I just had them repair the corner, it would still bother me because my eyes would always go to that corner. It's a curse! Anyhow, we shall see how this all pans out, and if the results are satisfactory. I'm pissed that this happened at all...but what can I do about it now? My wife has several law offices...I could sue for emotional distress, negligence, breach of contract, loss of enjoyment of my vehicle (yes...you can do that), file complaints with the BBB, Line-X corporate, and contact the local newspaper...but this would be frivolous and punitive. he's trying to make it right. I may still end up putting a FRF sticker over the spot if everything else doesn't pan out...HA! Thanks again...I'll be posting on how this all unfolds! Regards, A06

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Thanks again...I'll be posting on how this all unfolds! Regards, A06

Well, the repair will take a few days if that. You can still drive around without the tail gate. A new one will take WHO KNOWS how long to get here. Another option is a Junk Yard gate. Paint should match 100% if its the same year truck. Any f150 tail gate with the same options would work. Just a thought. As far as sueing or all the rest. Shit happens. What ya gonna do? You have made a boo boo before. We all do. Like others have said, the shop / owner owned up to it. He is out MONEY regardless of the fix.

One thing you CAN ask for. The tail gate comes with the metal close out panel. Have it painted and have the guy spray it as well to match. Then you can loose the Man Step if ya want. Bolt the standard close out on and wahlah!
BDRAG