Garage Door Openner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorToy

Reaction score
Just got my new 2012 Raptor and love the truck. I noticed a problem with the universal garage door openner which comes with the truck and is built by learcar2u (learcar2u.com). Unlike every car I have owned, the universal garage door openner in the raptor does not learn from your existing remote, instead it is a remote that you must have your garage door openner learn. The problem with this design is if you live a community which has a shared gate you can not program it to open the shared gate; instead you have to have the shared gate learn your truck. Unfortantely, in my community they will not program the gate to learn an idividuals car as there would be too many codes the shared gate would need to learn. It is too bad ford didn't follow everyone else and install a system that learns from the existing hand remotes. :( Any ideas? Thanks.

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. Call the dealer to make sure of limitations.

The system must be able to learn on its own and if so...just sit next to the gate while others drive thru and set your truck to learn the feed until it does.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. Call the dealer to make sure of limitations.

The system must be able to learn on its own and if so...just sit next to the gate while others drive thru and set your truck to learn the feed until it does.

If I understand correctly, he can't do that because the truck won't learn frequencies.

With my Craftsman garage door opener there is a purple learn button I press, then within 30 seconds I have to press the remote (which can transmit only, not receive), at which point the opener learns the code. I believe what RaptorToy is saying is he has a similar set up where he is wondering if the Raptor garage door opener is transmit only. Upon checking out their website that seems to be the case. However, there's no real technical reason why their gate can't learn thousands of codes, they take a tiny amount of memory.

"If you reside in a gated community, please use the Need Help? feature located near the top of the page to be contacted by a representative for further programming information, or contact the Car2U® call center at 866-572-2728."

OP
OP
R

RaptorToy

Reaction score
Ranger, your exactly right. It's too bad ford didn't follow everyone else and allow the system to learn from a remote. The ford remote is only a transmitter and cannot learn. I contacted the community and they have no plans to update the gate to learn codes from home owners (not suprising). I guess my expensive truck will just have to have a garage door opener remote clipped to the visor like I did back in the 70's. :)