Confirmed: 2012 Front Camera works in both 4HI & 4LOW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it started snowing in the high country at my cabin over 8k feet (Finally, all mud gone) so I decided to test the Raptor in snow. Note, it does better in snow than mud.

I first tested the 4low in manual mode. Shifted up @ about 1500 rpm (keeping it low rev till broken in) and it freakn JUMPED into 2nd gear. So be weary of that even at low speeds. True 4low. At which time I was on a narrow road and activated the front camera. Many of you might not have a use for it but up here--WOW! I can see it's gonna take extra effort to master driving using the nav screen BUT IT CAN BE DONE! Your hand/eye coordiantion must be precise while also glancing every now and then at the road. I wouldn't have glanced up every so often had the road not been so narrow with a bar ditch one side and a cliff on the other!! Ballsee. But very cool and a very worth feature to have on this truck. It works.

So I then cruised through the basin just enjoying the ride. However, I noticed when I got to the wider road and switched to 4HI...the front camera STILL WORKED!!! On the way back home I knew that wasn't normal so I wanted to figure out how to make it work in 4HI so to share on the forum. You must have your seatbelt on AND when in 4HI PULL OUT the locking rear diff. By puling out the locking rear diff and seatbelt on engages the front Camera in 4HI. Now I'll bet some of you who may have not known this might be thinking "were you still limited to 15mph"....YES.

The last test was the hardest part of getting to my cabin....turning 180 degrees down into my driveway and very narrow. So at this point I tested the hill decent control. Worked beautifully. Better than I expected. It literally about slammed on the brakes once the incline came up out of now where. Every time it engages the brakes....it makes a sort of grinding sound (not bad sound, just the unit functioning) so be ready for the noise and dont freak out.

That's it. Will report as more tests happen.

PS-Have not tested the headlights yet BUT have tested the stereo and YES...in terms of volume its probably the weakest stereo I ever had in a vehicle. But still works great and loud enough to give it some attitude. haha

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it started snowing in the high country at my cabin over 8k feet (Finally, all mud gone) so I decided to test the Raptor in snow. Note, it does better in snow than mud.

I first tested the 4low in manual mode. Shifted up @ about 1500 rpm (keeping it low rev till broken in) and it freakn JUMPED into 2nd gear. So be weary of that even at low speeds. True 4low. At which time I was on a narrow road and activated the front camera. Many of you might not have a use for it but up here--WOW! I can see it's gonna take extra effort to master driving using the nav screen BUT IT CAN BE DONE! Your hand/eye coordiantion must be precise while also glancing every now and then at the road. I wouldn't have glanced up every so often had the road not been so narrow with a bar ditch one side and a cliff on the other!! Ballsee. But very cool and a very worth feature to have on this truck. It works.

So I then cruised through the basin just enjoying the ride. However, I noticed when I got to the wider road and switched to 4HI...the front camera STILL WORKED!!! On the way back home I knew that wasn't normal so I wanted to figure out how to make it work in 4HI so to share on the forum. You must have your seatbelt on AND when in 4HI PULL OUT the locking rear diff. By puling out the locking rear diff and seatbelt on engages the front Camera in 4HI. Now I'll bet some of you who may have not known this might be thinking "were you still limited to 15mph"....YES.

The last test was the hardest part of getting to my cabin....turning 180 degrees down into my driveway and very narrow. So at this point I tested the hill decent control. Worked beautifully. Better than I expected. It literally about slammed on the brakes once the incline came up out of now where. Every time it engages the brakes....it makes a sort of grinding sound (not bad sound, just the unit functioning) so be ready for the noise and dont freak out.

That's it. Will report as more tests happen.

PS-Have not tested the headlights yet BUT have tested the stereo and YES...in terms of volume its probably the weakest stereo I ever had in a vehicle. But still works great and loud enough to give it some attitude. haha

Were you in offroad mode when you were in 4HI? The camera works in two configurations: Off-road mode + rear diff locked or in 4Lo. If you were in 4HI and not off-road mode, that would be interesting.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah thats what I was about to ask. if your in ORM with the locker on, the front camera will work, doesn't matter if you're in 2w, 4hi, or 4lo.

When I go to show people the camera thats all I do since it's quicker than engaging 4 lo, is just hit ORM and pull the locker switch and the front camera pops on.

OP
OP
Quicksand

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question that I forgot to add. Yes, it was in offroad mode. I've been under the impression up until today you could only activate front cam in 4Low so I was pretty stoked as I will be using 4hi much more than 4low. This truck rulez!

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it says right on the screen when you go to truck apps and scroll over to front camera, either put it in 4 low, or put it in ORM + Locker.

When I picked my truck up the dealer was showing me the gizmos and gadgets, and he was telling me that my front camera would only work in 4 low. I said how do you know that? He says it shows on the screen right there. I said well how about where it says or ORM + locker. lol

OP
OP
Quicksand

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it says right on the screen when you go to truck apps and scroll over to front camera, either put it in 4 low, or put it in ORM + Locker.

When I picked my truck up the dealer was showing me the gizmos and gadgets, and he was telling me that my front camera would only work in 4 low. I said how do you know that? He says it shows on the screen right there. I said well how about where it says or ORM + locker. lol

I simply dont have enough hours in this truck yet but Im learning quick and about im there with regards to mountain 4x4 settings. Will need another learning session when I get to Desert terrain. Its not like there is only one selection for each type of terrain...there are multiple options so its all trial an error to determine what setting works best where. This will take little time. Again, its good to know front cam works outside of 4low.

speck1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quicksand,
Glad you got your truck. I am enjoying the reviews. Going to pick mine up at lunch today. It was ready last Friday but I was out of town. Can't wait to bring it home.

andypick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar snow run this weekend and tested things out up some tight switchbacks in about 1.5' of fresh snow. Overall worked great. I had to shut things down in one corner after I started sliding inward towards the ditch... Aired down to 30lbs (still sounds funning having to air down to hit 30).. anyway with 4L and rear locker on, I just backed up and crawled right out. It could have been a two corner panel day, but everything worked out. I'm remembering why I don't love these tires... they are only ok in many conditions. Now I need to pull the trigger on a portable compressor.. been waffling between Viair 450 and 440. I was able to drive to the nearest town on 30lbs no problem.

OP
OP
Quicksand

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quicksand,
Glad you got your truck. I am enjoying the reviews. Going to pick mine up at lunch today. It was ready last Friday but I was out of town. Can't wait to bring it home.

Spek--Thanks & Congrats! Post pics. Take your time once at home learning the functions, dont try to learn it all at the dealership. Your gonna love it dude. Keep us posted.

Andy, thanks for sharing your snow Raptor report. It was very similar to my experience yesterday, which I thouroughly enjoyed. About 5 inches on the ground now but Im finding getting the 5 inches of snow/ice off my truck and not scratch paint is a new job of its own!! Cant wait to be back in the SoCal desert!