2012 screw review, 2 weeks 4100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it was about 3 weeks ago that i finally got my 2012 flame blue screw with a leer XL shell on it. The first thing i thought when i saw it was "damn i like that blue" followed by "damn i like the way it looks with that shell on it".

Since i picked it up in redlands, ca and decided to take delivery in AZ (3 hours away) the first day with it was pretty much all driving. (6 hours to redlands, 3 hours to AZ, 9 hours back to sacramento).

After the first drive all i could think about was how nice the interior actually is, how comfortable it was to drive it for that damn long. Well that and the mild chuckling/crying at the first fill up's cost at socal gas prices (4.29 for supreme.. glad i dont live near the bottom of the grapevine!).

After the first drive all i could think was what mods needed to get bought next, that of course meant a volant intake and a sct tuner. The tuner was ordered the 2nd day i had it, the intake was already at the house. Once the tuner came in (yeah 5star!), it was reflash time before my first real drive (9 hours isnt enough!) up to seattle.

Now that drive was nothing short of fun, the damn truck rides like a dream on the open highway. Nothing but smooth ride, nice rumbly power, and lots of gas being burned. I wont lie, it was also fun watching people follow me on the highway checking out the truck.

I will say this, after the reflash + volant the truck is a bit more of a beast then before. My only issue is the volant intake is not exactly as quiet as i would like, this may of course be resolved once i get headers/exhaust but until then its a bit annoying. All said and done this is my first domestic, first truck, and well im glad i made the purchase.

This thing is an amazing combination of luxury, performance, technology, and capability. oh and its FUN AS **** to go bombing down dirt roads in! (or paved ones for that matter..)

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw the pic on another thread, it looks great! I was told that the fastners holding my tonneau can get loose; don't know if it's the same with Leer caps?

OP
OP
DirtNasty

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They looked pretty damn solid, but i am going to check them again.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i did a road trip from chicago to SW florida in my 2011 Screw. best ******* road trip ever! normally i get antsy in cars... like after 2-3 hours i need to get out.... but i made it home from florida, 1300 miles, in 18.5 hours, only stopping 3 times for gas and to pee. this is the best road trip vehicle ever!

Bad Rap

Reaction score
Hey DirtNasty..I was in Redlands to pick up my truck the same day as you. I pulled into the lot and there was my silver screw, next to your blue, right in front of the showroom! Our salesgirl said you were on your way to get it. Loved the look of your shell and have mine on order! Love my truck, and I agree with all of your reviews! The one and only thing I wish Ford would change is to color match the stripe on the steering wheel to the exterior color! LOL! Enjoy! :waytogo:

Raider2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad Rap said:
The one and only thing I wish Ford would change is to color match the stripe on the steering wheel to the exterior color! LOL! Enjoy! :waytogo:

They did that on mine........ I got the race red :)

OP
OP
DirtNasty

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey DirtNasty..I was in Redlands to pick up my truck the same day as you. I pulled into the lot and there was my silver screw, next to your blue, right in front of the showroom! Our salesgirl said you were on your way to get it. Loved the look of your shell and have mine on order! Love my truck, and I agree with all of your reviews! The one and only thing I wish Ford would change is to color match the stripe on the steering wheel to the exterior color! LOL! Enjoy! :waytogo:

Sweet yeah i think we crossed paths, i figured it would be someone on here who was picking up the silver one!

You will love the shell, its pretty damn handy and i think it looks pretty damn good as well. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

i did a road trip from chicago to SW florida in my 2011 Screw. best ******* road trip ever! normally i get antsy in cars... like after 2-3 hours i need to get out.... but i made it home from florida, 1300 miles, in 18.5 hours, only stopping 3 times for gas and to pee. this is the best road trip vehicle ever!

Yeah i think this is the most surprising thing about this truck. I was expecting the size, the HP, the suspension handling ruts at speed, etc.

I WAS NOT expecting it to ride like the dream it does on the open highway, nor was i expecting it to be so damn comfortable for long road trips.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Haha this thing is very comfortable! I stopped once on a 600 mile trip to the beach! My parents were in a 2009 land rover Lr2 and I felt bad when they were getting out and popping their backs and complaining and walking boe-legged like they just stepped off a bull.... Meanwhile me and the Gf are already unpacked and chilling! Not to mention on the way down a blue dodge kept messing with me and blew up his engine trying to keep up haha! And I got a ton of compliments and a huge line of speeding cars behind me doing 90 on I59 south! The funnest vehicle in the world right here!!!