2012 5.5 SCREW Bed gaps etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dabblin

Reaction score
Before he goes in for a bed liner spray I was looking around for other places that might need a bit of protection from salt, gravel, sand, grit, debris, and the etc's. The inside of the rear fender wells need protection, as well as the portion aft of the wheel-well where the tires sling everything not left on the road.
As I glanced around I saw light coming through the seams of the bed where the inner bed side descends to the ribbed floor section. Shouldn't that have been seam welded and filled ? If not grit will descend in to the gap and over time rust out the floor of the bed. The liner when sprayed in will cover the gap and fill it. But the gaps existence hints at tack a welded structure where weight bearing and wear and tear will occur over time, will it bear up to pickup bed use and abuse?
1 week into owing it, a redish rust like staining on the rear axle at the outside edges has appeared. I will be getting some Implement Black from TSC and hitting it and what ever else might need it, like the frame and cross-members, struts, braces, seams , more of those etc's.
Was thinking of asking the Liner guys if they have an under coating that would work on the Bed and frame rails while it is removed for the topside treatment.

I saw the thread with the pics of the liner in the wheel well, that made me think to look further.
Any and all recommendations accepted.

I have about 10 days to figure the solutions out before it go's to get sprayed. So far it looking like "Lurch" is what he will be christened as for a given name, family name ......... you can guess..

OP
OP
Dabblin

Dabblin

Reaction score
Adding Pics
1st is the primed and grey underside of the bed.
Shows the side gaps. I guess its normal. I still say its the nose of the camel as far as to a starting point for bed rust. Plus the Line-x will probably fill it in.
I would have liked an engineered hole with a rubber plug over the gravel trapping slot.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/images/styles/ford/attach/jpg.gif

The second shows the Diff carrier and U-joint yoke. No paint, rusting, will be like a Titanic rivet by next winter. The axle tube is little better. http://www.fordraptorforum.com/images/styles/ford/attach/jpg.gif

The plan is Line-X fender wells and bed, maybe frame rails at wheel well. Etching primer and Tractor Supply Corp Implement black on raw poorly protected metal areas. Then undercoating the out of the way under-side of the bed sides and bed floor.
The salt the roads around here like McDonalds French Fries.
I have seen trucks with rusted out beds and OEM tires.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 57
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 58