Initial Review of ICON 3.0 coilovers and Billet UCA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
After posting the installation write up I did for the ICON front 3.0 Coilovers, Billet Upper Control Arms and Skid plates I received some PM's asking what I thought of the ride, why I went with ICON over x y z, and why I did coilovers before a bumpstop kit. Apparently this is a topic many are interested in so I thought I would explain myself. And apparently I have to lol...

If you want fanboy ********, look elsewhere. I do not hold all the answers but this is a rational explanation of why I felt this setup would fit MY needs the best.

Why did I decide to make front 3.0's one of my first mods to begin with? (besides improved off-road performance)

Ride height and ride quality. As many of you know this is my second Raptor and over the last 3 years I've had 3 different wheel/tire configurations at every "perch level". I loved the look of "top perch" but hated the ride.

So the first question for me became ride quality on the road. Not the first thing you consider normally when upgrading to a 3.0 shock, but this is my daily driver remember as many Raptors are. What I gathered from some phone calls and due diligence was that the ICONs would offer a firm and comfortable ride similar to stock while at or above "middle perch" height. I can now confirm this to be true, but I'll get to that.

One of the other annoyances I found with "top perch" was the inability to adjust the wheel track back out, retaining the wide factory "stance" of the Raptor. The increased height comes at a price of what I feel is the Raptor's desirable natural stance.

So I started sniffing around. I talked to ICON first and basically heard everything I wanted to hear. I took in some facts and tried to filter out claims and comparisons.

The important point for me was I would be able to raise the front 2"+ while maintaining a ride close to the lowest factory perch setting. Ok now how about this track width business? Adjustable upper control arms. Ok, I'll be honest this is when I really started to make my final decision. And the remote reservoir has a knob to play with? Sold!

But really. Fast forward to reality. As it turns out, I ended up going higher than "middle perch" and in fact I am closer to "top perch" height at just over 27" from center hub to fender flare. I love the look, I was able to use the upper control arms to make necessary adjustments and I really like the ride.

The ICONS as I have them set (S) are a little firmer than stock, but not harsher. On the road the best way I can describe the feeling is smoother and more solid. The truck doesn't gallop over uneven surfaces anymore, and definitely recovers faster over the bigger "on road" stuff. I must mention how much quieter the ICONs are than the factory shocks too. It took day to get used to the silence versus the clunk and whoosh I became accustomed to.

Off-road I'm sure there are others out there who would be more qualified to explain. I have some logging trails and power lines in the area that has a mix of slow and high speed stuff for a mile or so. The ground is frozen so I did note some harshness over small "washboard" ruts at speed. Over the big stuff...big smiles. Those "dash crunching" hits I got used to with the factory shocks just fly on by with the ICONs. Very impressive indeed. I found less nose dive under hard braking which made the steering feel more controlled as well. We can talk more about off-road performance as I am able to spend more time on the trails.

As for quality I guess time will tell. Initial quality is excellent. Packaging and build quality were very impressive. The billet upper arm is a nice machined part and I enjoy the looks of it beyond the functionality of it. The instructions sucked, but I took care of that :).

As for the last question of the bumpstop kit. Don't hold my feet to the flames on this, but the 2013's have a reinforced frame for a reason and I don't see a need just yet based on my off-roading habits. I do plan on upgrading the rear shocks when finances allow and a bumpstop kit isn't out of the question long term.

DSC00544_zps48fd449a.jpg

DSC00545_zpsdbd0e7fd.jpg

DSC00560_zpscaeb5a20.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions guys, overall I am very happy!

RSiWORKS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Once again great write up. This is one thing that I WILL have to do in the future cause I can't stand the fact that after I installed my RPG stage 3 kit it raised my ass end back up. So top perch in your manner is on the list.
Thanks BIRD.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying yours as well...

What will sell a lot of people, is the fact you can adjust the front end, and the ride quality is truly GREAT on-road in "S" setting. When hitting the dirt or dunes, a few clicks really makes a big difference, and allows you to really hit some NASTY stuff without bottoming out.

Great review, and installation write-up was fantastic!

Mine is set about as high as yours... I too love the look! Looking forward to hearing your off road impressions after some seat time. That's where these puppies really shine, in my opinion.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On road is great.. But wait till you get offroad.. It is simply amazing, what was "oh $hit" moments with stock shocks are mere bumps..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up. I love this set up. Even if I could afford this, I'm not sure I could pull the trigger. My concern would be, how this mod effects the warranty on a vehicle barely 2 months old? I look forward to seeing what mods you do next.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Great write up. I love this set up. Even if I could afford this, I'm not sure I could pull the trigger. My concern would be, how this mod effects the warranty on a vehicle barely 2 months old? I look forward to seeing what mods you do next.

I'm not sure what you mean. If anything happens to my truck, unrelated to the suspension, it will be covered under warranty. If my lower ball joint fails, yeah I am likely going to pay out of pocket. But then I upgrade to some aftermarket tie rods..gotta pay to play. That's again IF that happens which using good practices and common sense can prevent. If my engine blows up they won't look at my shocks.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup Andy. I would love to do this sometime in the future.

BTW, looks like you guys are about to get hammered with snow.

snow_blizzard1.jpg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
18-24" Friday in to Saturday. Could be a good one. Is that the Blizzard of '78?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2