Your Raptor and It's Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I just had mine aligned today. Had my cam bolts adjusted for maximum tire clearance so I could stuff 37's. The alignment shop had to pull the tire back in order to get the caster back and now I'm rubbing.

Sounds like most of you guys are letting caster go up for better tire clearance.

You want them further forward to clear the back flare. An aftermarket UCA will do that but you can also do some more with the rear LCA mounts.

schmeal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want them further forward to clear the back flare. An aftermarket UCA will do that but you can also do some more with the rear LCA mounts.

I have glass and an upper with heims. I can pretty much put the tire where I want. With cam bolts adjusted to push the tire all the way forward, you'll hit the front fender mount before you touch the firewall (with pinch welds hammered).

My questions is more of "how much caster is too much caster?"

D

Deleted member 12951

I have glass and an upper with heims. I can pretty much put the tire where I want. With cam bolts adjusted to push the tire all the way forward, you'll hit the front fender mount before you touch the firewall (with pinch welds hammered).

My questions is more of "how much caster is too much caster?"

I am in the 7's on caster. Where is your caster at when they said they had to get caster back?

schmeal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the 7's on caster. Where is your caster at when they said they had to get caster back?

I was right around 6 deg before I took it to the shop. They were trying to get it down in the 4's per the spec they have. Here's my sheet.

attachment.php

I did a "garage alignment" before making the appointment. Looks like I should have just ran with what I did.

Attachments

• IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 392

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
@schmeal at 4 if you take a hard landing you will tear in to your fender liner. Ask me how I know about that :)

I actually thought Rick was at 5.7-6 not 6-7 on caster. Nothing bad will come from going that high. For me 5.7 was enough to clear my fenders so I'm OK for now.

Are you going to run Pony Express with us this weekend?

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 109
D

Deleted member 12951

I was right around 6 deg before I took it to the shop. They were trying to get it down in the 4's per the spec they have. Here's my sheet.

attachment.php

I did a "garage alignment" before making the appointment. Looks like I should have just ran with what I did.

Yep, would of stayed with caster in the 6's, especially if you have UCA heims.

schmeal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@schmeal at 4 if you take a hard landing you will tear in to your fender liner. Ask me how I know about that :)

I actually thought Rick was at 5.7-6 not 6-7 on caster. Nothing bad will come from going that high. For me 5.7 was enough to clear my fenders so I'm OK for now.

Are you going to run Pony Express with us this weekend?

I'll be there as long as the truck is functioning. It's pretty stupid of me to get the truck done a week before the event. I'm kicking myself for not allowing enough time for a proper shakedown.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Yep, would of stayed with caster in the 6's, especially if you have UCA heims.

I called the shop, they're going to crank it up to 6-7 like you have. Thanks for the numbers!

JLAKE4130

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rather then start a new alignment thread,
I spent most of the day having my alignment done yesterday. I did Mid perch mod in the morning and dropped the truck off that afternoon. After 3 tries with the tech my steering wheel is still just to the right of center ( In his defense, im super OCD about this). Id much rather correct this myself if possible.
Since the steering wheel is facing right (passenger) cant i adjust the passenger tie rod OUT (say 1/8 -1/4 turn) and the driver side tie rod IN the exact amount? It would be easy enough to paint pen a line across the tie rod, lock nut and tie rod end to know how much im moving everything. Is this how the alignment shops center the steering wheel? If not then how?
Thanks,