What's everyone doing to strengthen their frames?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a 2013 or newer or get you a 2017 since Ford added a fix to help out the frame bending issue. Or as many of us did add a bump stop system to help. :)

Attachments

• bumpstopdone001.jpg
    bumpstopdone001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 99

JtoU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say that bump stop is really valuable part on anyones truck that does off-road. You really have to go bat shit crazy to bend frame with good kit. I've had few of those oh shit moments and I'm really happy that guy's here recommend that as your first a must mod.

Frame reinforcement kit probably works but i think worst situations happen when you're on ride height and don't have whole travel there to absorb the impact.
I think it shows really well on that video WarSurfer posted.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'll say that bump stop is really valuable part on anyones truck that does off-road. You really have to go bat shit crazy to bend frame with good kit. I've had few of those oh shit moments and I'm really happy that guy's here recommend that as your first a must mod.

Frame reinforcement kit probably works but i think worst situations happen when you're on ride height and don't have whole travel there to absorb the impact.
I think it shows really well on that video WarSurfer posted.

Spot on, that's when most frames get bent. When you're jumping you've got the entire travel range to slow that axle down, vs when you're at ride height you've got less than half of the travel to do the same thing.

schmeal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SDHQ frame reinforcement kit literally looks like a joke if the objective is to increase that section from bending up and down. To increase the bending resistance of a cross-section you need to add material away from the bending axis (top and bottom), not right at it. Look at a I-beam, the flanges are at the top and bottom, not on the sides. You should probably just go with a bump kit or save your money.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all. Are all bump stop kits more or less created equal?

I specifically chose the SVC because it's adjustable. I can lower my bumps to act as helper springs (under enough weight). They aren't all adjustable like that. That's the one I recommend for its dual purpose benefit. It's beefy too.

PS - An impact gun is your friend for the adjustments. Otherwise it would take a while. With an impact gun it takes me a couple minutes per side.

OP
OP
D

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I specifically chose the SVC because it's adjustable. I can lower my bumps to act as helper springs (under enough weight). They aren't all adjustable like that. That's the one I recommend for its dual purpose benefit. It's beefy too.

PS - An impact gun is your friend for the adjustments. Otherwise it would take a while. With an impact gun it takes me a couple minutes per side.

Can't you also change the caps on the fox air bump shocks?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Can't you also change the caps on the fox air bump shocks?

the fox 2.5's i have allow you to change the caps. Its a set screw I believe. RPG sold their kit with two different ones, a larger one for guys without deavers and a shorter one for guys with them.