What's everyone doing to strengthen their frames?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many options out there. The gen 2 frame beef up had be thinking of what everyone has been using? Just the bump stop kit for most? Sufficient for the average off road user?

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The weak frame thing is more legend than reality.

Way back on one of the earliest runs a group of owners (10 or so) all hit a kicker going way too fast and bent their frames because the rear axle housing slammed into the factory bumpstops. Instead of owning the mistake, one ******** thought he could force Ford to fix his stupidity so he started a 'weak frame' crusade and posted his BS on any and all social media outlets he could. Ford basically told him to eat shit.

I have no doubt more than 10 frames have been bent, but they bent them being stupid and not having the proper gear.

Literally thousands of Gen 1s have been jumped with no bent frames.

You need real bumpstops and better shocks, not because the frame is weak, because that's the right gear for the task.

Now it's just a marketing ploy. If someone tries hard enough without the right gear, they'll bend the Gen 2 frame as well.

Stupid is the strongest force in the universe.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just watched that video the other day and the ford guys say that the suspension was already bottomed out against the bumpstop and then it took another hard hit which caused the bend..

ultimately, no matter what, these trucks are still production vehicles. I'd be willing to bet a 17 will bend the same way in the similar situation after watching ford's explanation..