Upgrading front or rear first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movi

Reaction score
I have a 2013 raptor with fox 3.0s front and rear to go with RPG's stage 4+. I'm thinking that i want to go long travel soon and was wondering should I up grade front or rear first. Thinking I want to stay with RPG's offered setups since I already have all RPG stuff and have no complaints. Was looking at their bolt setup for the front and 18"through need setup for the rear. Probably staying with 3.0 front and rear so I won't have to replace my coilovers up front.

So should I upgrade front or rear first? Or should I just wait until I can do everything at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best thing is do it all, but the rear end is the weak link with these trucks. Do the rear first then the front.

Good luck. You're playing with great stuff.......

OP
OP
M

movi

Reaction score
Has anybody on here gone this route? Did doing the rear first make a huge difference? Did the truck perform well even without the front done yet? Does the truck have a stinkbug stance now?

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the rear first, you didn't list bump stops - get those done asap. I wouldn't worry about stance, it'll all be fine when you are done. Start with what you can in the rear and enjoy it as you build it up.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody on here gone this route? Did doing the rear first make a huge difference? Did the truck perform well even without the front done yet? Does the truck have a stinkbug stance now?

What, don't trust me? LOL

Drop shackles can be used in the rear until you get it all done to level the rear out a bit. Bump stops with added frame protection is a great idea, too.

Trust me, you'll be amazed at the difference that upgraded rear leaf springs will add. When I did mine, it was the difference between night and day. No more 'hopping' over those little heave cracks in the on/off ramps or potholes/washboards......

OP
OP
M

movi

Reaction score
Haha haha. No I trust you just had a few more questions that I didn't state in the original post

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

And I already have fox 2.5 bump stops as included in the RPG stage 4+ package

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ditto. The 3.0 coilovers you have will work for the bolt kit, but I would also budget for at least 3.5's for the rear to be able to keep up. The rear 3.0's you have won't work with any of RPG's long travel rear kits.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it won't matter.
Neither the bolt, nor the leaf sprung bed cage setup are so large of a leap in performance that you'll have issues. They will work well together, or combined with the usual 3.0/deaver setup.
If you were doing a full blown long travel with a cut and weld kit up front, and links out back, I'd say do the rear first. You'll never extract even 25% of the performance out of the rear with just 3.0's up front, but it's safer than having the rear donkey kicking around like a lost puppy.