Upgraded IWE

If a full time hub was available for the Raptor would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish our trucks used something like the GM system. Auto-4WD on a GM truck has to be one of the handiest things ever for winter driving.

Or, even the electronic engaging hubs from my 96 Polaris ATV which uses an electronic clutch at the hubs(as far as I know, anyway).

Basically, anything but the vacuum actuated IWEs that Ford uses.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this is serious it's a false scene of security basically we have 2 wheel drive trucks. Ford your letting us down. and look who was top selling truck in 13 wonder why??? fix this and get back on top.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has been having Vacuum IWE issues for an awful long time. You'll find this to be the number one compliant in Ford SD (F250s/350s) forums as well. Though the Super Dutys do have manual locking hubs, but they're still using the Vacuum systems which has always had issues with leaking, etc.... Yeah, they need a major redesign.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
F250/f350 vacuum system uses vacuum to engage 4wd, while f150 uses it to disengage.

Ford and Borg warner are happy with this design up until 2012. The iwe would last 50-75k miles as designed.

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
F250/f350 vacuum system uses vacuum to engage 4wd, while f150 uses it to disengage.

Ford and Borg warner are happy with this design up until 2012. The iwe would last 50-75k miles as designed.

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

I can't get mine to last 1% of those miles. I'm starting to think it's me, lol... truck is back in for 4x4 clicking noise. And I was really trying to be careful this time! New tires and 2 wheel drive when I could. Shifted in and out of 4 when at a stop. Slow rolled it before putting any force on it to ensure it was engaged.

Just called the dealer, no word yet. Waiting on call back.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True statement Greg. You mention above the vacuum not building fast enough to disengage the IWE fully when using the Remote Start, why would that be any different then jumping in the truck starting and leaving immediately? I would think it would be an issue no matter which way you start your vehicle. Hell, I hardly ever wait 2 minutes before I put it in gear.