Top perch reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baginoman

Reaction score
So ive done searches/research all over on perch modding. Still itching to go to top perch...but not 100% on it. I would love to be able to take the truck off roading sometimes, or at least keep it as an option. If i were to top perch the raptor, are there any mods to reinforce the truck? Since i know the top perch is a bit straining on the suspension; and would think more so, off roading?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are many people with plenty of miles on top perch with no negative effects on front suspension componets..

There are several vendors offering upgraded upper control arms, tierods, shocks, etc..

I have RPG raceline 1.5" upper control arms and tierods on top perch.. 6000+ miles, 150+ offroad miles at Texas Raptor Run. No issues!

-Greg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
+1 to what Greg said.

However... while the "suspension components" are perfectly fine, I don't think we can say with 100% confidence the CV axles will last as long as if set to the lower or even mid perch. I think we need to expect premature wear on them. What does that mean? I have no idea. It might mean they last 300k miles instead of 500k for all I know. All I can tell you is I'm at the top perch and we're keeping a close eye on mine since they're pretty beat up already from the spacers debacle (see here if you're interested: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/40k-mile-suspension-checkup-binding-blown-shock-bent-frame-10550/). I'll definitely be keeping everyone updated as the miles pile up.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, that is a drivetrain component not a suspension... BigJ is correct about CV joints.. That is the weakest area on the front end, in my opinion. How they handle top perch, all depends is Ford actually considered top perch in their designs specs of cv joints. I am believing they did not and that is why they are taking a proactive cya approach about adjusting the suspension on Raptors.

-Greg

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer talked me into the top perch. Looks killer and does not dip and dive. My big complaint about the top is there is a lot more bump steer. UCA are suppose to help,wich are on my list. You guys with the uppers, did it make a difference?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the combination of uppers and removal of swaybar got rid of some of the harshness from the top perch.

The main issue is top perch causes initial spring rate or preload too high, too much compression damping. Only solutions is to install softer springs (which lowers front end), mid perch (lowers front end) or upgrade shocks to Fox 3.0 (can be adjusted)...

-Greg

Last edited:

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I blew out my CV Boots on Top Perch. Not covered in warranty, and Ford will only sell the full axle assembly if you try to go through them.

What I heard from someone I know at Ford is that you can get away with Top Perch with stock tires, but once you go larger (I have 35x12.5 Toyo MTs) you'll have problems. Thats not an "official" statement by any means, and like someone else said - plenty of people have run it without issue.