Top Perch - Fox Shocks (adjusting your shocks to level the Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll save you the search. Supposedly Fox did their testing at mid perch, bottom perch setting is due to D.O.T. Have 98K @ top perch now no issues.

JumpinJax

Reaction score
Hey Guys I just picked up a 2013 raptor screw about 4-5 months ago and just got a perch adjustment done. after research I see that the 2013 have the front torsen and top perch isn't recommended and will cause issues. So I told the shop to do a mid perch with the 37 inch tire and the shop said they can do it and it won't rub after they trim/hammer. But after picking up my truck today, I have reason to believe they put me on top perch! I clearly said mid perch. And I reminded them a handful of times that I wanted it set to mid perch. I Hope I'm wrong here as I am a newb raptor owner just getting started.

I attached a pic of the shock so hopefully it's clear enough for someone to help me out as I had the truck at the shop all day and have to contact them tomorrow to maybe fix the problem and it'll probably be another all day outing again.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 114

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys I just picked up a 2013 raptor screw about 4-5 months ago and just got a perch adjustment done. after research I see that the 2013 have the front torsen and top perch isn't recommended and will cause issues. So I told the shop to do a mid perch with the 37 inch tire and the shop said they can do it and it won't rub after they trim/hammer. But after picking up my truck today, I have reason to believe they put me on top perch! I clearly said mid perch. And I reminded them a handful of times that I wanted it set to mid perch. I Hope I'm wrong here as I am a newb raptor owner just getting started.

I attached a pic of the shock so hopefully it's clear enough for someone to help me out as I had the truck at the shop all day and have to contact them tomorrow to maybe fix the problem and it'll probably be another all day outing again.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That is 100% top perch. Although i don't see why, other than a stiff ride, that would be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JumpinJax

Reaction score
That is 100% top perch. Although i don't see why, other than a stiff ride, that would be a problem

Thanks for the reply. I did tons of research with the different perch adjustments, and it seems that top perch puts to much stress and odd angles on the suspension, ruining CV shafts, ball joints, etc because of the front torsen and didn't want to deal with the headaches down the line. Now I'm torn, as I really love the look of the top perch, the ride is stiff, but bearable for me, but rather play it safe since top perch seems to not be recommended. I don't want to lose the 4wd functionality where it starts binding up when I need to use it.

Then again I read those with 12+ raptors on top perch with no issues and some with major issues. Plus I read on here that uca and beefer tie rods will accommodate the top perch, but that is another 2k almost of mods, on top of the money I already spent on 37 toyo MT and rims and cut/fab work.

@ogdobber are you on top perch without issues?

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did tons of research with the different perch adjustments, and it seems that top perch puts to much stress and odd angles on the suspension, ruining CV shafts, ball joints, etc because of the front torsen and didn't want to deal with the headaches down the line. Now I'm torn, as I really love the look of the top perch, the ride is stiff, but bearable for me, but rather play it safe since top perch seems to not be recommended. I don't want to lose the 4wd functionality where it starts binding up when I need to use it.

Then again I read those with 12+ raptors on top perch with no issues and some with major issues. Plus I read on here that uca and beefer tie rods will accommodate the top perch, but that is another 2k almost of mods, on top of the money I already spent on 37 toyo MT and rims and cut/fab work.

@ogdobber are you on top perch without issues?

I am on low perch with giesers (same height as stock springs on mid) but with a low perch stock ride quality. So with my springs mid perch would give a top perch height with a mid perch "ride"...
Top perch is no problem, the suspension is designed to be there. Beefier stuff (uca) is needed if you hammer big bumps

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top perch doesn't create any situation that the other settings can't also create it just sits closer to full extension. Full extension scenarios are possible under all conditions. Hammering the throttle in 4 wheel at full extension with wheels leaving the ground is never a good idea. As I've seen on many Baja trips the way you drive the truck is the most important equation in the whole picture of things. Do your hard core desert running in 2 wheel & save 4 for tough spots & hills and you'll be fine. Wait....the springs will settle a little anyway. This has been my experience. 100K @ top perch no issues, drove her hard but smart.

JumpinJax

Reaction score
Top perch doesn't create any situation that the other settings can't also create it just sits closer to full extension. Full extension scenarios are possible under all conditions. Hammering the throttle in 4 wheel at full extension with wheels leaving the ground is never a good idea. As I've seen on many Baja trips the way you drive the truck is the most important equation in the whole picture of things. Do your hard core desert running in 2 wheel & save 4 for tough spots & hills and you'll be fine. Wait....the springs will settle a little anyway. This has been my experience. 100K @ top perch no issues, drove her hard but smart.

Makes sense @RivRaptor. From all the research that is what I have gather from it all, that smart driving is key to being successful on top perch.

Another question, I have 74k miles on the truck so does that mean the shock/spring has settled already and won't settle anymore now that I am on top perch? Or is there more room for settling of the shock/or springs moving to top perch?

Thanks.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine settled after one good dirt run. I did mine soon after purchase. I don't think your gonna see any more after 75 K. Make sure you service them if you haven't already. And get the alignment checked.

JumpinJax

Reaction score
Mine settled after one good dirt run. I did mine soon after purchase. I don't think your gonna see any more after 75 K. Make sure you service them if you haven't already. And get the alignment checked.

My current setup:

Top perch
trim/hammer to fit 37x12.50x17 Toyo MT
Method NV
Stock front bumper so no aftermarket bumper to help weight the front down and since I have no aftermarket front bumper will top perch be okay taking into consideration of no added weight in the front? So I wonder if the aftermarket front bumper is accounted for?

Plus I live in southern California in a much populated area and will be doing mostly street driving and the roads here are pretty good and maintained, so that should also help contribute to running top perch without much issues. Eventually I'm gonna beef up the suspension so I can try my hand at off roading.
@RivRaptor didn't realize your a fellow southern cali. With no traffic you're like an hour and some change from me, but with traffic forget it, it becomes a half day drive lol.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jumpinjax, your truck is capable of some serious offloading just as it sits. Trust me I've pushed mine hard, got air every chance I could, 80 plus power slides, 100 plus flat out desert runs & drove home. Stay away from long deep whoop runs and you should be o.k. There is where you will need to upgrade. But I've seen plenty of damage from the moded guys there too, so take that with a grain of salt. As for good roads by you...you haven't been to LA lately? I've seen pot holes the size of Volkswagons there! Surprised everyone in LA doesn't drive a Raptor! Mexico has smoother dirt roads! (all bragging in this post done on closed coarse!)

Last edited: