Tie Rods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skyscraper
Sorry just saw this. Yes I've had two racks replaced. One I paid for and another under warranty.

I now need a third after the ARDD run....

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)[/QUOTE]

Ok so what are the first signs of a rack going bad. I had my truck at the dealer the other day to fix the drivers side tie rod, and since I noticed that they didn't put a clamp on the rack side of the dust boot I got under the truck and was just going to put a hose clamp on it when I noticed that there is a little bit of play where the shaft goes into the houseing of the rack. Should there be any play there, I never noticed it before but now I am paroniod. The drivers side seems to have more then the passengers side.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's how mine went bad. Lots of play on drivers side. Starts to clunk when driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am putting my OEM's back on for now. Will find out for sure in AM but sound like my rack is also being replaced.

I will reach out to RPG regarding rebuild kit, but am considering staying with OEM since I have extended warranty and carrying the RPG's as my spare.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am putting my OEM's back on for now. Will find out for sure in AM but sound like my rack is also being replaced.

I will reach out to RPG regarding rebuild kit, but am considering staying with OEM since I have extended warranty and carrying the RPG's as my spare.

You can source the heims anywhere. They are standard.

I picked up replacements from SDHQ. As well as their spindle misalignment setup to remove the tapered pins that must be replaced each time from Rpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed about a 7 degree offset in my steering wheel in the last few days, so I took it in and they said my oem tie rod has popped out of the knuckle on the passenger side. I was thinking of upgrading but from the sounds of it, the RPG ones are not worth it and only last a short time, and for $700...id expect so much more.

Also, which actually last?

Last edited:

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alpha 1 are very stout. Purchased mine through Raptor Addict and SVC. Outlaw is the end source.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed about a 7 degree offset in my steering wheel in the last few days, so I took it in and they said my oem tie rod has popped out of the knuckle on the passenger side. I was thinking of upgrading but from the sounds of it, the RPG ones are not worth it and only last a short time, and for $700...id expect so much more.

Also, which actually last?

None of them if you don't take care of the heims.
The stock ones are the longest lasting. Aftermarket tie rods give you more durability, at the expense of longevity.
That's pretty much anything with a heim joint.

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of them if you don't take care of the heims.
The stock ones are the longest lasting. Aftermarket tie rods give you more durability, at the expense of longevity.
That's pretty much anything with a heim joint.

Fair enough, so which last longest out of the aftermarket group or is it all about the same at 10 months or so?

970Co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock ones have play in them. With the after market ones at 700 and last 10 months seems crazy! When you replace the heims do you need an alignment?