Surface rust on 4 month old nationals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't go crazy spending money just so the road elements can sand blast it off.

I just used Rust-Oleum® Acrylic Enamel, gloss black.

Next time I'll use something cheaper.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, they all rust... Nationals, Deavers, Etc. Because of the flexing, and constant sand-blasting, you'll just end up re-painting them constantly.

What I do, is spray them down with WD-40 every time before/after a run. It protects them from corrosion, seems to help reduce the rust, and also keeps them from squeaking. Plus, they look nice and shiny! :D

I keep a few cans of WD-40 handy, and actually spray ALL of the underside components while prepping for a run. A little trick I learned from Outlaw, that they do to all their trucks too.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looked like that about 3 weeks after the SnoBall run, had just installed before the run. Talked to RPG and they thought maybe it was because of the paint that can be used in California where they are made. That might be the case. I wish I would have known as I would have taken them apart before installing and painted. Don't totally agree this is normal, as the factory springs looked great, and have had many trucks with springs that held up with dune running, driving in winter and flexing over the years. I bought some good Eastwood paint and will be doing them up right in the next month or so.