Stock Wheels and aftermarket UCA's

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I recently ordered ICON UCA's that are the 1" uniball. Should be here this week. I just learned that they will not work with stock wheels (have the beadlocks) and stock BFG tires. I do have ICON 3.0's. I am finding conflicting information, hence why I am asking here for everyone's comment.

I spoke with Brad this morning at ICON and he confirmed theirs will not work. He said it does not hit at the uniball but at full turn (doing a U-turn for example) they will hit on the arm. He said 95% of all aftermarket UCA's don't work with stock. He said the only other options would be:
1. Replace wheels. Not looking at doing that anytime soon so please don't comment on doing that. I already invested in another set of beadlock wheels.
2. Return them. He said no issue taking them back.
3. Use spacer to gain offset but will just help, could still rub.

I do tend to air down when off-roading and at times depending on the environment, I could be turning hard. He said that will just make it worse with their UCA's.

So, what is the 5% of UCA's that work with stock wheels?
I've heard that using even a 1/4" spacer is not a good idea, why?

And if you are asking why didn't I research before purchasing, I worked with a supported FRF vendor on the order and did ask, was told that ICON works with any wheel, so I paid the premium price for compatibility, so I thought.

Thanks in advance!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The ReadyLift ucas that I installed do not rub with the stock wheel and tire setup. Take a look at my install thread. I will add a link when I get to a computer.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting news, I have never heard of the arm being so wide it would rub at full turn. Everything I have ever heard it was always the 1.5" uniball that was the issue with stock wheels. I am not a fan of spacers but I know many people run them and run there vehicles hard. As far as airing down u are correct it would make it worse. I am wondering if taller tires would help by raising the centerline of the wheel and decreasing the angle of the UCA?

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i know this was one of a few reasons for me getting rid of my beadlocks as i had already dropped cash on the icons - that said, they are pretty damn sweet!

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running your Beadlocks with the stock beauty ring or have you converted them to true beadlocks with the Ford Racing Beadlock ring?

I was close to rubbing my stock UCA from the side lugs on my 37" Nitto's. I got more room after I converted them to tue beadlock because the outer bead is about 1/4" wider then the stock inner bead so it shifted the center of the tire more outward giving me more space between the tire and my UCA.

BONUS: it looks alot better!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Using stock beauty ring right now. I liked the adjustability of the ICON UCA. I looked at SVC's and was told by Jeff that their 1.5" would need a spacer. But like others, I always thought the 1" would work.

I don't think readylift's are adjustable? Is ICON and SVC the only adjustable without removing UCA's out there?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, I always thought the ICON UCAs would work with the stock wheels and I thought this was on their web site. I just checked and now it ways it will only work with aftermarket wheels.

I guess you have no choice but to return it. Or perhaps someone make a super small spacer for the Raptor to only move the wheel out 3-5 mm?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Interesting, I always thought the ICON UCAs would work with the stock wheels and I thought this was on their web site. I just checked and now it ways it will only work with aftermarket wheels.

I guess you have no choice but to return it. Or perhaps someone make a super small spacer for the Raptor to only move the wheel out 3-5 mm?

Yeah they updated their website because at one time it did show they work with stock wheels. Brad said they updated their website because they were getting complaints that they were hitting. He said they did some research and confirmed the issue.

I really like their setup and was looking forward to it. Already had a shop that was going to install both my replacement steering knuckles and these UCA's for $320.

What I would really like to know is the drawback of using a wheel spacer? Brad said 1/4" but could still rub. Perhaps 3/8"? Educate me on the Cons.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the RPG 1" UCA with the stock beadlock wheels and stock tires. I don't think it rubs. I can check once I get the truck back from the dealer (getting new power steering pump).

The RPG UCA are non adjustable.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to RPG, the 1" bearing should not rub.

BTW .. there's one for sale in the for sale section .. and at a good price.

I run the RPG 1" UCA with the stock beadlock wheels and stock tires. I don't think it rubs. I can check once I get the truck back from the dealer (getting new power steering pump).

The RPG UCA are non adjustable.

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)