Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Stock Front Shock Removal

This is a discussion on Stock Front Shock Removal within the Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by RDFTS Did some searching and found THIS thread about removing the front shocks. Okay, remove the tie ...

User Tag List

Like Tree22Likes

Sponsored By: Fox - Redefining Ride Dynamics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #31 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by RDFTS View Post
Did some searching and found THIS thread about removing the front shocks.

Okay, remove the tie rod and sway bar, check.
Unscrew the 3 nuts on the top of the shock bucket, check.
Do you have to remove the UCA from the knuckle or can you remove it from the LCA instead? Seems like either would work? What is easier and quicker?

A list of socket sizes and tools required for the job?

If there is a write-up or video somewhere that I missed when searching, please provide the link.

You can't remove the nuckle from the LCA without disconnecting the hub.

The ball joint bolt wont clear the buckle before the LCA contacts the hub ring.

Its easier to disconnect the the UCA and pull the shock out.

Icom F5021,RPG Stg 4+ Fox 3.0 coilovers, RPG Tie-rods (modified to camburg hardware), RPG PS reservoir, Camburg 1.25" UCA's , Raptor -Retro fit '13 HIDS, Line-x preminum, Bluewater LED bed lights, Ipad mini navigation. Bubba rope. Rollx, Recon 10.5k winch synth rope, factor 55, SVC Custom acuated tower. Visions 30" xmitter extreme, 35" toyo MT, visionx 6550 spot.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #32 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Huck View Post
You can't remove the nuckle from the LCA without disconnecting the hub.

The ball joint bolt wont clear the buckle before the LCA contacts the hub ring.

Its easier to disconnect the the UCA and pull the shock out.

Thanks Huck. I typed/asked that without looking. Took a look this morning and see exactly what you mean.

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR 14'/15'/16'/17' | Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #33 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

I know at times the shock wouldn't slip right out so I would put a tie down strap in a loop and use my foot to pull the LCA/assembly to spread enough to slip the whole shock assembly out. Once the parts were worn in, the need wasn't really there.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Did anyone ever make a how-to video? Some idiot posted a video on youtube which is a useless timelapse. I'm about to tackle this myself.
maxxuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by maxxuav View Post
Did anyone ever make a how-to video? Some idiot posted a video on youtube which is a useless timelapse. I'm about to tackle this myself.
This would be great!
I followed a video on midperch mod which made it real easy!

A video on total front shock removal would be a great asset
03Cobraraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Stock Front Shock Removal
Originally Posted by maxxuav View Post

Originally Posted by 03Cobraraptor View Post
This would be great!

I followed a video on midperch mod which made it real easy!

A video on total front shock removal would be a great asset

Just did swapped mine this weekend. Wasn't too bad. About 2 hours aside if you look around in the front end for bearing play and checking iwe's.

As everyone else said jack the truck up, place jack stands, remove the caliper and mount together ( I did this to minimize weight from the knuckle once you remove the uca), remove away bar mount (I put a jack under the lca to allow the away bar to come out easily), remove the tie rod, remove the upper control arm.

Keep some metal coat hangers or zip ties around to hang the caliper and knuckle on. Disconnect the iwe vacuum line and make sure you are not pinching any on the lines as you droop the suspension out.

Remove the three top shock nuts (15mm) and then remove the lower shock bolt. I used a 3' breaker bar.

Shock should slide right out.

Shoot me a PM if you run into any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McGrath4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #37 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by McGrath4u View Post
Just did swapped mine this weekend. Wasn't too bad. About 2 hours aside if you look around in the front end for bearing play and checking iwe's.

As everyone else said jack the truck up, place jack stands, remove the caliper and mount together ( I did this to minimize weight from the knuckle once you remove the uca), remove away bar mount (I put a jack under the lca to allow the away bar to come out easily), remove the tie rod, remove the upper control arm.

Keep some metal coat hangers or zip ties around to hang the caliper and knuckle on. Disconnect the iwe vacuum line and make sure you are not pinching any on the lines as you droop the suspension out.

Remove the three top shock nuts (15mm) and then remove the lower shock bolt. I used a 3' breaker bar.

Shock should slide right out.

Shoot me a PM if you run into any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info bud! I may try it this coming weekend.
maxxuav is offline   Reply With Quote