stock fox shocks life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6isntenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost 48,000 miles on my 2011 raptor and still run the factory shocks, fronts on top perch, none of them appear to be leaking, so my question is how long should factory shocks last before having to be rebuilt or replaced with 3.0s

ZOMBYKLR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well........ I can only speak from my experience and not what FOX says the shocks are good for until it's time to have the rebuilt. I got 44K out of mine and my truck has seen very little hard offroad action. I also have buddies that are pushing 50K on theirs and the shocks are still performing well. It's kinda relative from truck to truck and you will know when it is time to have them replaced or rebuilt. My truck began to ride really harsh and it was tough to hold a line when hitting potholes (bumpsteer) the same roads that the truck would be smooth and solid over became an adventure. Mine never leaked any oil but the ride was horrible! If your truck still rides great be happy, when the ride goes south be prepared to upgrade or have those removed and sent out for the rebuild.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

BTW, the 3.0's by FOX are wicked!!!!!!!!! I love mine.......

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well........ I can only speak from my experience and not what FOX says the shocks are good for until it's time to have the rebuilt. I got 44K out of mine and my truck has seen very little hard offroad action. I also have buddies that are pushing 50K on theirs and the shocks are still performing well. It's kinda relative from truck to truck and you will know when it is time to have them replaced or rebuilt. My truck began to ride really harsh and it was tough to hold a line when hitting potholes (bumpsteer) the same roads that the truck would be smooth and solid over became an adventure. Mine never leaked any oil but the ride was horrible! If your truck still rides great be happy, when the ride goes south be prepared to upgrade or have those removed and sent out for the rebuild.

My experience too. I've got a spare set I'm going to put while getting them rebuilt. Since 40k seems to be a common limit, I think I want to be equipped to do it myself. .....

Stop laughing. I'm serious!! I mean it, I'm getting a wrench!

6.2 - Power To Do More

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You got farther on yours than I did. Just turned 22K and getting a shock replaced because it is blown. Also getting ready to upgrade. My experience isn't "average" for all owners. I have put a pretty good number of dirt miles on mine and it has seen a good amount of airtime as well. Depending on your driving habits I would think you are getting to about the amount of miles to consider rebuilding or replacing them. Would help you decide if you could go for a ride in another Raptor to compare and get an idea how your shocks are doing. A buddy of mine and I swapped trucks recently for a short drive to help each other evaluate some things on our own trucks. Surprising how much you can notice going to another Raptor.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My experience too. I've got a spare set I'm going to put while getting them rebuilt. Since 40k seems to be a common limit, I think I want to be equipped to do it myself. .....

Stop laughing. I'm serious!! I mean it, I'm getting a wrench!

6.2 - Power To Do More

Cups, I wish you luck on doing the rebuild yourself. I'm starting to look for a local who can rebuild them. I know a buddy who has buddies into rock racing and off roading that knows people. Might see if they can tune them any better. Have you found anyone local to do the rebuild?

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not rebuilding. Just swapping. Was thinking of sending to Fox for rebuild. But if a local shop turns up.....

I intend to have valve installed for the N2 as well. Not sure if Fox will do that.

6.2 - Power To Do More

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrogen.

I agree on have a new valve put in too. gonna look into that on mine.

Here is what I can tell you with my experience.
2011, supercrew, I hit the trails a few times a year and rallycross the truck at least once a month.

Mine started going out near 50k. Before obvious signs of leaking, there was an increase in road input to the steering wheel at higher speeds, a subtle side to side vibration in the wheel

next, going through turns, cloverleaf express way type and other the truck would get a lot of feedback into the steering wheel and the truck felt like it was going to push through the turn.

During the last race, the front end was all sorts of unhappy. terrible feedback in the bumps and same issue in turns as stated above, only significantly worse. After 10 laps, 5 ish miles, both fronts had fluid leaking all over.

Now the truck is completely terrible to drive (fixes will be on the way)

If you notice some of these more subtle symptoms, I would serious look into replacement or rebuild before it becomes nearly undrivable, like mine is.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrogen.

2011, supercrew, I hit the trails a few times a year and rallycross the truck at least once a month.

Mine started going out near 50k. Before obvious signs of leaking, there was an increase in road input to the steering wheel at higher speeds, a subtle side to side vibration in the wheel

next, going through turns, cloverleaf express way type and other the truck would get a lot of feedback into the steering wheel and the truck felt like it was going to push through the turn.

During the last race, the front end was all sorts of unhappy. terrible feedback in the bumps and same issue in turns as stated above, only significantly worse. After 10 laps, 5 ish miles, both fronts had fluid leaking all over.

If you notice some of these more subtle symptoms, I would serious look into replacement or rebuild before it becomes nearly undrivable, like mine is.

Good to know, i am getting a couple of those symptoms...

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrogen.

Good info Carl. My truck has horrible shaking back and forth in the steering wheel. It acts like the tires are way our of balance. Huck drove mine and then we looked at it. He spotted the fluid all over passenger front shock. Thanks to Christy(Fordservice here on FRF) that shock is getting replaced tomorrow. Hopefully that one shock was the issue and it takes care of the shaking. It is very annoying.

The description of a little extra steering wheel feedback is great. That is exactly how mine started acting before the shock gave up completely.