steering wheel center after mid perch mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if this is the wrong spot. Had the dealer do the mid perch mod and alignment when I picked up the truck. Noticed the steering wheel was about 3/8" off center when the truck was tracking straight (all roads). Took it to my local dealer to be realigned and it is slightly better, but still off. The truck tracks perfectly straight, but it is driving me crazy having the steering wheel off center.

fenderstratplayer19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't center the wheel correctly. they probably just leaned in and glanced at it before they tightened everything. That is my biggest pet peeve when I get alignments. Especially with the orange stripe on our steering wheels!!

I would take it back again. its a easy fix

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^What they said^ My tech actually has weights which he puts in the drivers seat (to simulate the drivers weight) and a clamp which holds the steering wheel straight while he makes the adjustments.

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, like has been said already. The Tech did not center it properly when he tightened things down. I had the same problem with 3 different shops in the Houston area. I found a real pro finally and he now is the go to shop in Houston for Raptors and Alignment.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Side topic, if I don't take the springs out when I do mid perch, do I still have to align? Most places won't do a Raptor over here.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The alignment machine does the centering for you- they are being lazy or dont know what they are doing- all the alignments we do we dont allow the trucks to leave the shop unless the wheel is perfect- drives me crazy also. If they arent locking the wheel when they do the toe adjustment it will always be off. Its very easy to get it straight and it should be perfect.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The alignment machine does the centering for you- they are being lazy or dont know what they are doing- all the alignments we do we dont allow the trucks to leave the shop unless the wheel is perfect- drives me crazy also. If they arent locking the wheel when they do the toe adjustment it will always be off. Its very easy to get it straight and it should be perfect.

Mine is perfect after you did my mid-perch and alignment!!!
And tracks straight!!!!

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really have a hard time understanding why some dealerships (the ones I have delt with) have no concern for quality service. We are are talking about a 50k truck that deserves high quality service just like a bmw or mercedes. Do you thing a 40k bmw 3series ever comes out of the shop with a crooked steering wheel. I had my rack done a couple months back. I really didnt want to bring it to the dealer but I had to. We even know the service people here. I asked them not to align it because I had to put my tierods back on anyway and I really didnt want to get more agrivated since they gave me shit about my bumper and didnt know how to loosen it but they insisted saying dont worry it will be perfect. Picked it up and there was greasy had prints all over the front of the truck, power steering fluid all over the place since they must have over filled it and big surprise the steering wheel is an inch off and it drove like shit. And keep in mind the stock tie rods make really easy to adjust the toe. And we know these people. Total ******** in my book. So the tech drove the truck and said "yup, its good to go"??? Is his steering wheel crooked also???? That must be why he didnt care about my truck that I work my ass off to pay for....... Just saying....

Perch mods take 2 hours and that includes aligning it. The trucks dont leave until the wheel is dead straight and it drives perfect. I really dont understand why this is so difficult. Sorry to vent a little guys...