Steering tie rod boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a tire rotation today. While the tires were off, I inspected everything I could. I found the left steering tie rod boot like this. I've never changed one before. Doesn't look too hard. Anyone have any pointers or tips. Anyone have any idea what would have caused this? Could the LCA at full compression have done this? I am on mid perch.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was like that on driverside with under 5000.. Yukon joe had both sides torn with around same mileage... Stiff boots getting pinched is the conclusion we came to..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was like that on driverside with under 5000.. Yukon joe had both sides torn with around same mileage... Stiff boots getting pinched is the conclusion we came to..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Yeah, mine has exactly 5000 miles on it. Pinched by what? Warranty?

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Count the turns when you remove the outer tie rod- remove the nut and pop the boot off- it really needs to be aligned after so you may want to consider just have alignment shop do it if your not comfortable. As said before stiff plastic- brakes easily

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
count the turns when you remove the outer tie rod- remove the nut and pop the boot off- it really needs to be aligned after so you may want to consider just have alignment shop do it if your not comfortable. As said before stiff plastic- brakes easily

ok…thx!

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I just completed the job myself. I just counted the number of turns and put it back exactly that way. Seems fine.

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my wheels off again today. Did an inspection while they were off. Found the exact same cuts in my driver's side tie rod boot. I'm at 35,000 miles now. Anybody have a more permanent fix for this issue? Gonna take it in this time to see if they will fix under warranty. Can't help but wonder how many Raptors are running around with this problem.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have never had this issue but then again i have RPG tie rods and the end that goes over the tie rod isn't clamped down cause it was heated to shrink to the contour of the tie rod and its allowed to slide along the tie rod and not get pinched. i would see if you could get a better boot at maybe autozone or Orielys. i know that the cv axle boots you get at orielys are a lot better than the stock ones they are a real rubber not a soft plastic like oem.

Pat
RPG tech/sales

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had my wheels off again today. Did an inspection while they were off. Found the exact same cuts in my driver's side tie rod boot. I'm at 35,000 miles now. Anybody have a more permanent fix for this issue? Gonna take it in this time to see if they will fix under warranty. Can't help but wonder how many Raptors are running around with this problem.

Had the same issue with my OEM boots at only 1000 miles. Not sure why they do that.....

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com