Spindle install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was wondering how big of a job it is to install new spindles? is it a straight forward unbolt, remove and install? do you need an alignment after?

thanks

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was wondering how big of a job it is to install new spindles? is it a straight forward unbolt, remove and install? do you need an alignment after?

thanks

You will have to unbolt/unmount several things:
  • The brake calipers, disc and disk protector
  • Upper Control Arm (UCA)
  • Lower Control Arm (LCA)
  • Tierods
  • Integrated Wheel End (IWE) / Hub flange / Hub nut
  • The vacuum lines to the IWE

Here is an exploded picture of the knuckle assembly:
attachment.jpg

In my experience, if you don't have anything damaged, the removal and installation is pretty straight forward. Nothing is too tough to get to. Getting the IWE to line back up in the hub can take a few tries but it shouldn't be too much of a pain.

If you are installing a non-OEM knuckle, then you definitely would need an alignment.

If you have bent your steering knuckle or damaged it, after replacement, you should get an alignment.

If you were going with a direct replacement OEM knuckle and are not replacing a damaged one, then you might be able to get away without an alignment. (Though it begs the question, "Why you are replacing it in the first place?")

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My plan was to pull them off, sand blast them and then cerakote. There's nothing wrong with them, I'm just looking to do some corrosion prevention since I have a cerakote setup in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My plan was to pull them off, sand blast them and then cerakote. There's nothing wrong with them, I'm just looking to do some corrosion prevention since I have a cerakote setup in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, well that definitely answers the question! :) Pretty sweet to have a cerakote setup of your own. Post pics once you are done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts