Spring Compressors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendation on a spring compressor for 3.0's? Looking for something that doesn't require the removal of the shock from the truck to adjust preload. The ones you borrow from Autozone are not really made for these size springs.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
In for info, I don't know that there's something out there but you never know. Maybe just four of the Autozone widowmakers?

OP
OP
srs

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In for info, I don't know that there's something out there but you never know. Maybe just four of the Autozone widowmakers?

I don't think you could even fit 4 of them in there. The only issue really is that the diameter of the spring is too large for the widowmakers. Anyone know what the actual diameter of the spring is for FOX?

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendation on a spring compressor for 3.0's? Looking for something that doesn't require the removal of the shock from the truck to adjust preload. The ones you borrow from Autozone are not really made for these size springs.

Any strut compressor small enough to use on the truck is going to be sketchy at best. I've used the Autozone/O'reilly's threaded rod style before but considering the amount of deflection when the spring is fully compressed, I'd recommend pulling the shocks out and using a proper strut compressor that is designed for at least 2000#.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Any strut compressor small enough to use on the truck is going to be sketchy at best. I've used the Autozone/O'reilly's threaded rod style before but considering the amount of deflection when the spring is fully compressed, I'd recommend pulling the shocks out and using a proper strut compressor that is designed for at least 2000#.

Yeah, those wall mount ones are amazing. They make getting a spring on and off so easy it's not even funny. It's really too bad they're so expensive.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

I almost bought one like that too. I just know how much force it takes to compress those springs so I'm scared to try it out haha.

Plus we've just been swinging by ADS and borrowing their wall mount compressor as needed. It's just kind of inconvenient for all involved at times.

OP
OP
srs

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the process of removing a shock completely just to adjust preload. Although, every time I have used the Autozone compressors I was sure I was going to kill myself. Which is why I was seeking out a better solution.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the process of removing a shock completely just to adjust preload. Although, every time I have used the Autozone compressors I was sure I was going to kill myself. Which is why I was seeking out a better solution.

I'm right there with you. I'm about to start playing with valving and shock R&I is going to be my life.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you disconnect the upper ball joint, tie rod and sway bar, does that give you enough room for a clamshell type compressor? They are at least slightly less sketchy.