Shock tech question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both are inert gasses. CO2 is a suitable substitute for N2

Last edited:

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why nitrogen in shocks?

I have argon/CO2 for my welder. Can it be used?

Not to steal your thread, but maybe piggyback off it ....... I know the pressure created by the Nitrogen in a shock helps keep the oil from foaming. I believe I have also heard that a shock will ride softer if you lower the Nitrogen pressure. You obviously would not want to do this if you are going off-roading, but is there any truth to the fact that the truck will have a more compliant ride if I lower the Nitrogen pressure? If so, what would be a good level to set it at? My buddy has everything needed to refill a shock with Nitrogen. Since I mostly use my truck for daily driving and hauling my other off-road toys, I was thinking about giving this a shot. Thoughts?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, bad things will happen. N2 is much more pressure stable as temperature rises. If you run a CO2 mixed gas as the shock gets used it will heat up and expand raising the pressure. When this happens you will risk blowing various seals in your shocks.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
No, bad things will happen. N2 is much more pressure stable as temperature rises. If you run a CO2 mixed gas as the shock gets used it will heat up and expand raising the pressure. When this happens you will risk blowing various seals in your shocks.

latest?cb=20150625032354.gif

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both are inert gasses. CO2 is a suitable substitute for N2

CO2 is NOT an inert gas - it reacts readily with water to form carbonic acid (works even better with heat). Even a weak acid like that will react with aluminum to form hydrogen gas. In all, not something I'd want around shock internals or wheels with unprotected aluminum surfaces.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cory at RPG told me so, so I know CO2 is an inert gas (maybe your using it in a different context) But you can believe whatever, it's fine, we can have a beer and talk molecules and entropy and shit.

Here a link with a video in case your dyslexic or you only read comics:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/inert-gas-definition-types-examples.html

I'm just trying to be funny here, nothing personal Jiimster. I did research it before I posted that reply, and I've researched it before recharging my airbumps.

CO2 and N2 are both inert and are interchangeable in the sense that they don't experience extreme change in volume under temp changes.

Last edited:

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cory at RPG told me so, so I know CO2 is an inert gas (maybe your using it in a different context) But you can believe whatever, it's fine, we can have a beer and talk molecules and entropy and shit.

Here a link with a video in case your dyslexic or you only read comics:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/inert-gas-definition-types-examples.html

I'm just trying to be funny here, nothing personal Jiimster. I did research it before I posted that reply, and I've researched it before recharging my airbumps.

CO2 and N2 are both inert and are interchangeable in the sense that they don't experience extreme change in volume under temp changes.

Hah! No worries - I've just got a graduate degree in chemistry and worked in big pharma, manufacturing, and in analytical chemistry for over 20 years...

CO2, high temperatures, a little water, aluminum - now you've potentially got hydrogen gas, too! CO2 is reactive (the opposite of inert), while nitrogen, argon, helium - stuff like that isn't reactive, but are truly inert and stable gases.

Any gas expands on heating or pressure reduction. In a closed system, heating any gas causes pressure to increase. Either the general gas law or Ideal Gas Law demonstrates that.

Last edited:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same reason they fill tires with nitrogen, its an inert gas that wont expand or contract with temperature.