Shock Rebuild Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all, i had some shocks rebuilt last May, and i recently noticed they where leaking. I would say i have put under or around 10k miles on them since the rebuild. Has anyone else had any issues with rebuilds? For me it seems i would have been better off just buying new shocks from Ford originally as opposed to having the same set rebuilt twice within 10k miles. I am not mentioning names i am just curious if anyone else has had the same results?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i had some shocks rebuilt last May, and i recently noticed they where leaking. I would say i have put under or around 10k miles on them since the rebuild. Has anyone else had any issues with rebuilds? For me it seems i would have been better off just buying new shocks from Ford originally as opposed to having the same set rebuilt twice within 10k miles. I am not mentioning names i am just curious if anyone else has had the same results?

I am also curious as to how others respond. In addition, I would like to learn more about how people go about getting their shocks rebuilt. Do they take them to a local shop to get the work done? If not, how do people go about having the shocks removed, sent off to be rebuilt, etc... Do dealerships provide this service?

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also curious as to how others respond. In addition, I would like to learn more about how people go about getting their shocks rebuilt. Do they take them to a local shop to get the work done? If not, how do people go about having the shocks removed, sent off to be rebuilt, etc... Do dealerships provide this service?

Do a quick search on here for the swap program.... They send you some rebuilt shocks, per your specs, then you send in your old ones... Price varies from place to place and what you want done to your stockers (upgrades on seals, valves, etc.). You can send your shocks off to Fox, but consensus is they take too long, and you are left with your truck out of operation in the meantime.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably lost the nitrogen charge which in turn causes the shaft seals not to work properly. Pretty common. You'll have to open up, adjust fluid level and recharge

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bulletnjm and I had ours done by the same person. Mine too starting leaking after maybe 7K at most. Subpar seals were used in mine that started to break down and turned jelly like. Along with external contamination was found in the oil.

I am curious to see what turns up as the culprit when his get taken apart, again...

Sucks to have to deal with the expense, downtime, and overall hassle. Trying to see if other people, particularly in the North East have had issues.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Rebuilds should be good as new so I’d say leaking from 7- 10,000 miles of on road use is pretty ridiculous even if you are in the rust belt.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Slightly off topic but if you decide to buy a new set this go around I may be interested in your old shocks.. Would you entertain any trade offers?

OP
OP
Bulletnjm

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rebuilds should be good as new so I’d say leaking from 7- 10,000 miles of on road use is pretty ridiculous even if you are in the rust belt.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Slightly off topic but if you decide to buy a new set this go around I may be interested in your old shocks.. Would you entertain any trade offers?

I would be looking to trade for some rusty worn out icons, know anyone?

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
It would be nice to know who did the rebuild so you can save other members some hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro