Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning

Changing my suspension today, most components including springs, shocks to 3.0's UCA, tie rods, bumpstops and so on.
Question, Shackles? In as much as I've gone this far, should I or is it recommended that I change the OEM shackles? Pros/ Cons?

Randy

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only shackles I've seen for aftermarket wise are drop shackles that let the rear end droop more but I don't think it's needed!

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The only shackles I've seen for aftermarket wise are drop shackles that let the rear end droop more but I don't think it's needed!

Also with these you will loose some up travel which the Raptor lacks already....

Good Morning

Changing my suspension today, most components including springs, shocks to 3.0's UCA, tie rods, bumpstops and so on.
Question, Shackles? In as much as I've gone this far, should I or is it recommended that I change the OEM shackles? Pros/ Cons?

Randy

Would not make much sense to me when the rear end packages available work really good for what most Raptor owners require of the truck in on and offroad situations. Strength wise we have not had any issue so far, and have not seen much on that posted around. Seem to hold up fine.

ICON Vehicle Dynamics
www.iconvehicledynamics.com

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Polyperformance makes a extended shackle that lower the truck a little but will allow for more travel (down). Has poly bushings. Unless you are set up for more travel stick with the stock shackle- its plenty strong- the bracket that holds it is the weak point but unless u are killing it off road you will never have an issue. Changing the bushings to poly is recommended- this will make sure you get all the travel out of your set up

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Polyperformance makes a extended shackle that lower the truck a little but will allow for more travel (down). Has poly bushings. Unless you are set up for more travel stick with the stock shackle- its plenty strong- the bracket that holds it is the weak point but unless u are killing it off road you will never have an issue. Changing the bushings to poly is recommended- this will make sure you get all the travel out of your set up

Is there a way to change the stock bushings to the poly bushings?

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yes. just press out the rubber assembly and install poly bushings. The older f150 kits with 3 in wide springs work or super duty kits if I remember correctly. I can confirm I lose a inch of down travel due to the rubber bushings. If you are running nationals you can get poly bushings from them to replace the rubber.

loki_13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend not taking the stock bushings out. For 1 they will squeak and drive you nuts. 2nd if it was worth the money the big companies like RPG, Outlaw and, Icon would be offering it.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They only squeak if they aren't properly greased. I heard the horror stories in the past when I installed them on my MR2, but never had a single squeak after I installed.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Warning, Really dumb question. How come our trucks have the shackles stand up instead of hang down? Wouldn't that cure everything? More up travel? More droop?