RPG LT Vs. SVC LT or Mid Travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into possibly buying long travel for my 2012 screw. I'm torn between the new SVC mid travel kit, their long travel, or RPG's long travel. I also would like to pair it with a bypass rack and 3.5's in the rear. Anyone have any experience with either kit, or opinions on one over the other? It is also my daily driver so road manners are very important.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between a mid travel kit and a long travel kit. Might want to decide that first then consider brand.

If it's a dedicated off road truck then there's no reason not to go long travel. If you drive it on the road often or it's a daily then mid is probably better suited. At least that's my logic.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between a mid travel kit and a long travel kit. Might want to decide that first then consider brand.

If it's a dedicated off road truck then there's no reason not to go long travel. If you drive it on the road often or it's a daily then mid is probably better suited. At least that's my logic.

I appreciate the feedback. It's daily driven, so mid travel sounds like it may be better. I am just unfamiliar with LT vs MT. I've been trying to research but can't find to many huge negatives on LT.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigGriff023,
I have the RPG RST 16 system with 3.5's, and Deavers/drop shackles in the rear. You still need to put a hole on the passenger side of the bed so that it mirrors the driver's side by the gas fill. Droop? 24"!!! I have 20" limit straps with welded brackets to axle tube and frame, limiting the droop. On extreme articulation the tires have rubbed on the adjustment tubes once on the driver's side; moved the lower shock mount 1/2 inch towards the center, and none since.
The rougher the trail and the higher the speed the better the difference can be felt. Daily driving the truck is a bit smoother though it feels a bit looser like the back end wallows somewhat.
I had an unexpected flight on Dirty Dozen 3, and afterwards could not bring the driver's side front wheel into alignment; I purchased a set of the Icon upper A arms from Silverback, (Thanks Ryan!), and am very happy how the truck handles.
Overkill? Yes. However I have over 100,000 miles on the truck and hope to get 2-5x more! My original shocks had 85,000 miles and still rode well...no leaks, and rode smooth even on the roughest roads. The larger shocks will hopefully last as long, especially with the better ride that the Deavers impart....
Negatives? The size of the hole in my wallet. Need to modify bed for passenger side upper shock mount. Need to limit droop to protect brake lines/shocks.

Eddie

Last edited:

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SVC LT if you plan on keeping it for a long time. SVC MID if you want to save some money and if you know your going to sell it sooner than later.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SVC LT if you plan on keeping it for a long time. SVC MID if you want to save some money and if you know your going to sell it sooner than later.

Are you saying that the long travel will outlast the mid travel kit? Or I will outgrow the mid travel kit over time and wish I would have gone LT?

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the long travel will outlast the mid travel kit? Or I will outgrow the mid travel kit over time and wish I would have gone LT?

MT is something that when paired with a rear bypass rack/shock setup is freakin amazing and can stay on the truck "forever" if you plan on that setup being your absolute limit. But lets say in a couple years you decide to go linked rear end and also decide you want LT to match it.. You'd have to sell the entire MT kit and shocks for way less than you invested, buy a LT kit, buy shocks plus pay for all the fab work. Just my opinion obviously. I still remember the day I said, "Why do people go through the bed with shocks? That's so dumb, I'd never do that." Probably 9 months later I bought a bypass rack with 4.0's :Good or Bad:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MT is something that when paired with a rear bypass rack/shock setup is freakin amazing and can stay on the truck "forever" if you plan on that setup being your absolute limit. But lets say in a couple years you decide to go linked rear end and also decide you want LT to match it.. You'd have to sell the entire MT kit and shocks for way less than you invested, buy a LT kit, buy shocks plus pay for all the fab work. Just my opinion obviously. I still remember the day I said, "Why do people go through the bed with shocks? That's so dumb, I'd never do that." Probably 9 months later I bought a bypass rack with 4.0's :Good or Bad:

What are your thoughts on Rogue's cantilever rear end setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free