Request for Suspension Education (Practical)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi experts. Offroad and Raptor newb here seeking some education.
I've done a lot of research to understand what the various suspension components do and how they work, but I can't find anything about real-world application.
I always see on the forums the saying "know your limits and know your truck's limits." I think I know my limits pretty well, but I don't really know the truck's limits and I fear pushing my truck too hard.

I realize this could be a sticky subject; there are a whole lotta variables and people may shy away from making recommendations when the consequence could be a broken truck ><
That being said I understand anything shared here is strictly opinion based on your experiences and in no way constitutes a recommendation.

So what I'm looking for in general is how much is too much for different setups and how do I know when I'm approaching "too much."
I'm not going to run out and hit the desert at those speeds. Of course I'll start slow and work my way up, I just wanted some real experience to compare my experiences with.

Here are some specific questions to spur some discussion:

When you participate in Raptor Runs, is there an average jump and/or whoop height and if so what would you say is "normal?"
What speed do you normally carry into them on a stock/stock + rear bump stop/fully modded suspension assuming a level landing area?

On stock suspension is "too much" defined as bottoming out? ie, any amount of bottoming out is bad

I often see in posts, 'get a rear bump stop kit for peace of mind.' Does that mean bottoming out is no longer an issue? Where then does the "too much" line move to? Or does it mean nothing really changes, bottoming out is still "too much" but with a bump stop "too much" won't be catastrophic to your truck?

How do I know it's time to move to 3.0 and/or a secondary shock setup? I'm guessing it's when my craving for moar desert hoonage starts colliding more frequently with the discomfort of bone jarring landings and teeth chattering whoops...

Thanks for your input!

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are lots of threads on this, but I'll get you started:

I went from stock to 3.0's to dual 3.0's to now dual 3.0's with 3.5's in the rear. I mainly did this because I do like to see the truck airborne. In Texas we don't get alot of time with whoops, so most of my suspension mods are for jumping.

bump stops are job 1, mainly for keeping you for bending the frame where the cab meets the bed, it is a known weak spot.

stock with bumpstops the trucks perform really well, and that's how I did my first two main events. As I got faster than the truck, I started to improve the truck. I think growing with your truck is an excellent idea, you both develop your limits together. I didn't have much off road experience before getting my Raptor so it was a great process for me.

I have seen experienced drivers overdrive the stock raptors, and new drivers with heavy modded raptors get into trouble because the trucks limits are higher than their own.

and of course there are just plain bad drivers (no names being mentioned here...)

as for which setup to go with, they are all pretty damn good - go with what you like.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@aj.cruz I wouldn't worry about this as you will get all kinds of reasons why you should upgrade, however the stock suspension is capable of 100mph in the desert. It's when you get into jumping this pig where it becomes a problem. I wouldn't hit anything over 30-35mph without upgrading as you may tweak your frame or worse going beyond it's limits. If you want to mash it like a pre-runner, then start looking at upgrading the rear first as it is the weak point when jumping.

Bump stop kit and frame enforcement go along way. 3.0's or higher make a world of difference in what you can handle and throw at it, but I would feel the truck out as is before sinking thousands into suspension. You're looking at roughly 5-10K to upgrade everything. Just play it safe and you will find the sweet spot to stay in until you say **** it we're going all out.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personally, I never upgraded any suspension and never had issues. At rise of the Phoenix I came around the last corner and had the skinny pedal mashed before the final jump. I don't recall the speed but we were gettin it. I ended up stuffing the tire and ripping the fender liner out. That was with stock wheels and tires too. That's the biggest problem I had. Never had contact between the bed and cab. I will say I would've went with some hd springs and probably a bump kit while I was at it. Not necessarily for performance issues but on runs like Snoball where my bed was loaded with gear, tools, tires, etc. the ass was a little saggy. No one likes a saggy ass

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mall Crawl - Stock suspension and/or fabtech lift and rockstar 20's, hoonigan sticker

Gravel/Dirt Road Drifter - Stock suspension, methods, k&n sticker

Occasional Raptor Run - Mid Perch, bump kit, raptor run participant sticker

Professional Raptor Runner - 3.0's, bump kit, aftermarket bumper, deavers, raptor run number wrap job

Dezert whoop pounder - Dual 3.0's, fenders, 37s, bumpkit, bed cage, friend of a friend's race truck number sticker

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
While bumpstop kits are very popular, do be aware that this changes the performance of the truck in a rear-end collision. Something to keep in mind.
bump stops are job 1, mainly for keeping you for bending the frame where the cab meets the bed, it is a known weak spot.

Bump stop kit and frame enforcement go along way.

OP
OP
aj.cruz

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. Can you explain the rear end collision performance change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think what kaiser is talking about is the frame was designed to have crumple zones. reinforcing the frame thats not oem stiffens it up not allowing the flow of energy to run its course as if it were not reinforced. thus causing more force on the impact. however i think only in severe cases this would be an issue. minor fender benders should have any affect.