Rear suspensions squeaking after Steam wash - Lubricate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umair_k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summer has kicked in, no more offroading for us anymore till the winter starts again. It gets up to 50 to 55 degrees here in the summer, hence we don’t even touch the sands, only if the evenings are good enough, we do a night drive, but that also very rare.

I took the truck offroad several times during the winter, sand got in everywhere, hence thought of getting it a proper wash done for using it in summers, gave it for a steam wash (under body / engine bay and body quick wax) ... i picked up the truck looking brand spanking new -- but now on small humps and bumps i hear squeaking sound from the back leaf springs (i think) - I think the steam wash took the greasing or lubrication off the suspension ... any input on what type of lubrication and which area's i need to lube/grease. I will get all under body done to avoid on corrosion.

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
I JUST developed this as well.... Wd40 is a temporary fix... I'm buying rubber lube next to attempt a better solution, let ya know

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
50-55 degrees CELSIUS?!

I'm assuming that's what he means.

I know firsthand myself what sand will do over time, hell, even 1 good weekend. The grains get EVERYWHERE and can wreak havoc on parts that move against eachoter, like leaf springs. It was a good idea for you to wash everything off but, a pressure washer can clean almost too good. Make sure to take a prybar or long flathead screwdriver and pry each leaf end away from the other and apply grease. Also make sure to use a rag over the tip of the screwdriver when you do this so as not to gouge into or scrape at the metal on the leaf's.....it could cause corrosion and become a channel for more debris to hang out in. This has been a common thing on F150's for a long time as well.

OP
OP
U

umair_k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50-55 degrees CELSIUS?!

yup ... sometimes more. :) ... In the city on a normal day 45 - 46 is normal. Go out of the city into the highways through the desert, goes more than 50. I have seen myself upto 56 degree celsius. and Sand is HOT if you step on it bare feet. Hence no offroading in summers AT ALL. but in winters it is amazing!! we camp, we bash, we jump, we grill! there are specialy areas like EMPTY QUARTERS, where you have quick sand as well. dunes change shape over night, for this you have to go all preped!

Back to topic ... so WD 40 or the lub ... let me drive by FORD service centre and claim it under warranty :D ... they will lube it for me then and there and would also know which areas needs to be lubed (HOPE SO!). Service centre is next to my office. if it doesnt solve it then i would need to know the points and will Do it myself.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you get up under there and have someone bounce the rear end up and down. You may be able to locate the squeak. There are only 3 leafs and the rear shackle and maybe the shock mounts which may need to be lubed. Coating the whole rear suspension with Fluid Film or Amsoil would not only take care or the problem but, also prevent rust.

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
Bought 'Sea Foam Deep Creep' lube almost used the whole bottle on both sides of the trucks leaf springs/brackets and it's gone.... For now...

Well see how long it stays away I'll let ya know if it re develops

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i just bought some multi purpose grease at auto zone and smeared it on the contact pads on my leafs and it hasn't come back in over 6-8 months. wd-40 or any other spray for that matter will not work for very long.