Rear Shock Shields?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, first things first, im not a raptor owner. I have a 2014 F150 non raptor that is getting a raptor suspension makeover.

Been following this forum a little while to gain knowledge and generally everyone here knows what theyre talking about.

Question: on these rear shocks, it does not appear they will fit with that black roost shield on them. Is that shield even needed? Why is it there?

Thanks..

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What makes you think they won't fit with the shield on them? Plenty of guys have installed them with the shield on with no problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurboTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes you think they won't fit with the shield on them? Plenty of guys have installed them with the shield on with no problems.
Just looking at the opening it doesnt seem large enough. Ill throw em on tomorrow.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, first things first, im not a raptor owner. I have a 2014 F150 non raptor that is getting a raptor suspension makeover.

Been following this forum a little while to gain knowledge and generally everyone here knows what theyre talking about.

Question: on these rear shocks, it does not appear they will fit with that black roost shield on them. Is that shield even needed? Why is it there?

Thanks..

How much of a suspension makeover? If your installing Raptor control arms, then your probably going to swap out the rear axle. If this is the case, everything should fit.

OP
OP
T

TurboTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all raptor rear shocks are the same. In the photo of the guy holding the shock, u can see that the shield only covers half the piston. In my photos, u can see that it is fully covered in all sides
View attachment 68659
How much of a suspension makeover? If your installing Raptor control arms, then your probably going to swap out the rear axle. If this is the case, everything should fit.
Control arms and rear axles are in no way related

OP
OP
T

TurboTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all raptor rear shocks are the same. Refer to the following photos...First one is a newer shock (13-14). Notice the shield only covers the front.

Now, see my shocks..the entire piston is surrounded by the shield. This is my issue. The shield is too wide for the shock mount.

uploadfromtaptalk1443246413137.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443246428249.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443246507076.jpg