GEN 1 Rear OEM Shock removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I apologize for the dumb question but I need to remove the rear shocks.

Can I just remove the rear shocks without jacking up the frame? Once removed, can I just leave the truck without shocks and NOT drive it? I need to send the rears for a rebuild and then I will reinstall the rear shocks once I get it back. Again, I will not drive the truck until the rears come back rebuilt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Rear Shocks have been known to get stolen right out of people’s driveway. So yes it can be done.

I would recommend jacking it up to take off some tension from the shock bolts but yes it can sit without shocks. I had mine sitting for almost a month waiting on rebuilds.

c8adbfb036c889ba4355fb5fdf7a26d8.jpg

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say jack it up and pull them. Unless there is 0 nitrogen left, trying to pull them while theyre compress is tough. Not saying it cant be done, but its tough. Youll need a pry bar and a mallet at a minimum. Installing them, youll need a jack

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a jack (actually I have 2 floor jacks) but I don't think I can jack the frame high enough to get a full droop of the rear suspension.

I would say jack it up and pull them. Unless there is 0 nitrogen left, trying to pull them while theyre compress is tough. Not saying it cant be done, but its tough. Youll need a pry bar and a mallet at a minimum. Installing them, youll need a jack

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a jack (actually I have 2 floor jacks) but I don't think I can jack the frame high enough to get a full droop of the rear suspension.

Jack rear at diff, pull wheels, lower completely, then use your other jack. Thatll get you a few more inches

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I think I can do this:

- lift the diff as high as possible with the floor jack
- then support either side of the frame with jack stands
- then lower the diff and the rear suspension should droop some, I hope

Jack rear at diff, pull wheels, lower completely, then use your other jack. Thatll get you a few more inches

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think I can do this:

- lift the diff as high as possible with the floor jack
- then support either side of the frame with jack stands
- then lower the diff and the rear suspension should droop some, I hope

That's what I did, although I pulled the rear tires on the way up with the first step, and the old floor jack needed a 4x4 block on top of it. Once the frame is on jack stands and the wheels are off you should be able to droop all the way out easily.

BTW going back in you may need a hefty friend to push down on the axle or use a small bottle jack between the axle and frame to get the new shocks in.