Rear end bounce / wobble at highway speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Laurie

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually scaled their stock supercab with a full tank of fuel? 7,785 is a lot of weight, that's only a few hundred lighter than my crew cab powerstroke.

I'd be interested too...

I'm thinking about trying to get the test-drive truck from the showroom over to the scales :)

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theoretically I've have my truck in a week and I'll head over to the scales across from my office.

OP
OP
Laurie

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole cage structure is coming off on Saturday for some finish work and powder coating - so I'll run it through the scales naked to see what it's got.

Meanwhile - picture from this morning :)

148821_10151985277102647_482366877_n.jpg

Everything but the kitchen sink :)

OP
OP
Laurie

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually scaled their stock supercab with a full tank of fuel? 7,785 is a lot of weight, that's only a few hundred lighter than my crew cab powerstroke.

She went accross the scales today fully stripped down - as the rack is now off for some finishing touches and powder coating.

Note: Stripped down is still adding the Ford Racing Beadlock Trim Rings and the Warn 9.5 XPS on a hidden mount in the front.

Full tank of gas.

2,900 kg = 6,393 lbs.

As it goes back together I'll weight it in with only my base rack that will be the "daily driver" configuration. The upper rack with the tent, awnings, flag and lights separates with just 6 bolts. What's left matches the height of the cabin so it can fit in parking spaces.

1523549_10151910926417647_829785751_o.jpg

Anyway - on the ride and handling...

Fully loaded - 3,350 kg - the bounce issue is there.
Empty bed but still with the rack and accessories on it - 3,130 kg (from memory, papers are still in the truck) - bounce is much less of an issue.
Empty bed, base rack only (no weigh-in for this one) - no bouncing and nice ride.
Empty bed, no rack - no wobble / soft bounce but more of a harshness in the ride.

I think some heavy duty National springs will be the cure.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I like the touch with the tiki torches.

Yukon Joe
GREAT LAKES RAPTOR EXCURSIONS

Was going for this - but need rugs and table cloth to complete it :)

al-maha-desert-resort-dune-dining1.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I wonder how bad the flying insects are there.

Depends on the time of year... every now and then you get mosquitos which are annoying but not really threatening like in Africa.

We had 2 small wasps around the breakfast table in the morning but the back side of the shovel took swift care of that.

Flies are sometimes an issue if you go to common camping places where there's lots of rubbish on the ground for them to feed off.

It is one of the things I like about the desert - very little in the way of creepy crawlies and flying things. I enjoy watching videos of expedition travel through the rainforest type terrain but when I see them at the camp sites dealing with insects - so glad that's not my normal play ground.

However - head over to Oman about 400 km away and you'll get more crickets / locusts / moths / all sorts... but still nothing like the whole rainforest terrain.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was experiencing this same bounce over the weekend. It was on the highway at speeds of 70-85ish. I read somewhere else this is only common on the highway with expansion joints (which is what this was) but not so much with asphalt. Did anyone ever find something to help remedy this bounce. It's pretty annoying and it only goes away around 65 and below.

I have a 2014 SCAB 17k miles (most on road) with Geiser Front Springs, deaver +2's with synergy shackles.

azrobw

Reaction score
Did anyone figure this bouncing issue at highway speeds (80mph) out. My 2014 Crew with 30k miles just started doing it. Only mod was midperch, new BFG KO2's about 6 mos. ago...just had them rotated and re-balanced and oscillation is still there. I'm thinking maybe the tires are out of round? Any feed back would be great before I go back to discount tire. Thanks for the help!