Rear dust shields are junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've taken my Raptor out a few times, about five times of decent four wheeling. Now I live in NW Las Vegas so I wont be on grassy knolls by any means, but I was under the impression this thing was kinda designed for baja. As you will see in the pics my rear shock dust shields are toast. I noticed they were getting chewed up a few weeks ago after going out. But after this weeks outing I got under the truck and saw that they were done. I know that this isn't from them hitting anything, but from rocks being thrown up on them by the front wheels. No big deal if Ford will replace it, but if not I dont think I'll be spending almost $600 to replace their plastic. I'll fabricate my own thank you. I sent an e-mail to the stealership to see what they have to say.

attachment.php

attachment.php

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Something bent out of sheet metal would be a much more durable option. If aluminum was used, you could even anodize it to match. Another option would be clear tinted powder coat.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
That's odd...I have a lot of off-road miles and I've had a lot of rocks hit my rock guards but there is no damage like that. The plastic on yours seems very brittle. Try getting Does to replace it. The reason you shouldn't put metal guards on is because if you hit something hard enough to bend the metal guard into the shock shaft you are going to have to replace the whole shaft. Once those things get a scratch in em you have nothing but trouble. Plastic is a much better way to go in such a sensitive area.

Fido

Reaction score
My first broke within three days of bringing it home, the second a week later. Duct tape worked for a while til more rock strikes ate away at the plastic. I never even bothered to check with Ford about warranty, I see these parts as consumables, like brake pads ,wipers and gas. My solution has been to remove the broken factory pos's (yes, the shocks are pressurized, be careful). Then cut some rubber mud flap material (from a truck stop) about 8"x12". Got some radiator hose type clamps, I think 4" or so (local hardware store). Wrap the flap around the shock body, clamp into place with a couple clamps. Ain't as pretty as stock, but they have lasted about 4500 dirt, gravel and cindered (not including paved) roads so far with very little wear.
Now to fab something up to protect the driveshaft from more dings. The entire bottom of my truck looks like it's been sandblasted with gravel.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took a look at mine tonight... some pitting in the plastic but no damage like that. I have a lot of miles on some loose rocky trails... I often find a few rocks in the bed of the truck.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks to me like the shield did its job and protected the shock from a rock. It does look like you got a very brittle shield, but **** happens off road :racing: Nothing is unbreakable